I have installed the newest ubuntu in windows vista

GC2019

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I'm a super nooob, I have installed the newest ubuntu on a vista platform as the primary ios, its a little sluggish but I found puppy linux. I did a usb boot, I have it on the system and I like it more for my taste. Plus I love the Pup background. How do I keep the puppy as the main ios, instead of ubuntu. Everytime I try to boot on puppy it goes to ubuntu, I have to stick the usb and start all over, what I/m doing wrong? help?

G'day @GC2019 and welcome to linux.org :)

Everytime I try to boot on puppy it goes to ubuntu, I have to stick the usb and start all over, what I/m doing wrong?

Probably nothing :D

Puppy is intended mostly for use from a USB stick, although you can do a full install to HDD. Puppy maintains the appearance of being an installed OS by creating and maintaining a Save file, which saves data and settings. This could be on your stick, or else on your Hard Drive, depending on how you set it up.

Which Puppy are you using?

I do not have the skills to advise in depth, on Puppy, but we have a few Members who use it, just do not remember whom :(

We do have a Member, Darren @darry1966 , who has his own spin on Puppy called AnitaOS, which you can read about here https://www.linux.org/threads/anitaos-a-diy-distro-you-build-it-yourself.8860/ - by mentioning him, I have "pinged" him, so if he is available he may swing by.

The definitive Forum for the Pups is at

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/ - it is run by John Murga, and the site has been around since almost when Australia's Barry Kauler invented Puppy, ie about 15 years. You would certainly get answers there, I would just ask that if you get them, maybe you can bring back details here, so we can expand our Knowledge Base, our "Wiki" so to speak. :p

One thing you could try is as follows:

With your Puppy stick in place, and from Ubuntu's Terminal, run the following command:

Code:
sudo update-grub

... and see if it detects the Puppy stick as an OS. If it does, then you can reboot the computer, and there will likely be an entry on the Grub Menu for Puppy, but after the Ubuntu entry. You would then just have to be sure the stick is in place and choose Puppy any time from Boot.

But perhaps try the other avenues first and see how you fare.

Good luck and let us know

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Cool ... or should I "woof"?

Wiz

By the way while I'm here check out Debian Dog as well.

(The following rant is meant with the greatest of dry Aussie humour ... take no offense :))

Strewth, Darren. You Woofers sail through life, blase as all heck, saying "frugal this" and "pet that", while grunts like me make a New Year's Resolution every year (broken) that I am going to find the time to work on some Puppy.

:D:D
BTW was it you who came up with the phrase "Linux is like an all-you-can-eat buffet"? Love that.

Wiz

Well to be honest I am kind of done with Puppy for awhile - along while. I tried the latest two efforts Cosmic Cuttle Fish and Disco Dingo and boy talk about half baked not even tested. No mp4 playback (Had to re-install mplayer). Deadbeef doesn't run properly.

Releases are hurried out without proper testing man I'm done with it for awhile.

Last good releases would be Dpup Buster and Bionic.

I think I'll just use my trusty Devuan - Miyo Linux Awesome edition.

Thanks for the tips, Darren. :)

Do you think at all that the loss of the Barry Kauler influence is leading to a lack of direction, or are there other reasons?

Wiz

Well yes I think so and 01Micko behind the Slacko edition of Puppy.

Barry went onto Quirky and EasyOS. The Devs just don't seem to want to check their work and think that the user is the Guinea Pig/Tester. For example Cosmic Cuttlefish version was out for a very short time and then development went straight into Disco Dingo which was also hurried out though it is an alpha.

This has been occurring for awhile and as other developers left after Barry it really started to show in the quality of the releases.:(

Interesting .... thanks for sharing.

Wiz

Staff online

Members online