I have a problem with bootable usb flash

animeMangaGame

Reaction score
Credits
I wanted to create a bootable drive for win xp, when convert FAT32 to NTFS with some commands:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gparted
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
df -h
umount /dev/sdb1
sudo mkntfs --fast --label myUsbDrive /dev/sdb1
I can't mount usb, i tried some ways but still failed:
Code:
mount /dev/sdb1
sudo mount /dev/sdb1
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
Yesterday, I pluged in the usb again. I has error:
  • Error mounting /dev/sdb at: command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000" "/dev/sdb1" exited with non-zero exit status 13: $mftmirr does not match $mft (record 0).
  • Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': input/output error.
  • NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a softraid/fakeraid hardware.
  • In the first case run chkdsk /f on windows then reboot into windows twice.
  • The usage of the /f parameter is very important!
  • If the device is a softraid/fakeraid then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1).
  • Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details.
Name of usb: /dev/sdb1
Link of directory: /media/bodhi64/myUsbDrive
Like this pic:

Anyone can help me? Thanks in advance.
-
-
EDIT:
It will OK with: convert NTFS to FAT32
Code:
sudo mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1
Thanks to @atanere

Attachments

• shot-2019-10-07_20-47-37.png
    shot-2019-10-07_20-47-37.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

I'm curious why you installed gparted and then used the command line instead to do the work. Gparted is a gui tool for doing the work you typed later.
Have you taken the steps outlined in the picture you posted above? Namely running chkdisk /f from your Windows computer?
I think you'd probably have better luck making a bootable Windows USB drive using Windows rather than Linux.

Anyway to solve error in linux?
Because, a bootable win xp is fail.
Gparted not work on Moksha ( UI of bodhi linux). I will consider installing new desktop evironment like Gnome, etc...

Can I solve it if i convert NTFS to FAT32?
That may work. Most bootable USB drives are created with a FAT32 file system, not NTFS. If you are sure that /dev/sdb is the correct drive for your USB, then this should work:

Code:
sudo mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1