I have a imac G5,1

GC2019

Reaction score
Credits
I have tried to install linux by usb, but the snow leopard ios does not recognize the usb, if you press options during boot you only can see the main Mac drive. I did tried a package method which you put inside the terminal but it still does not recognize the usb. Do I need a hard disk? and if yes where can i order one. If there is a way without a hard disk I can give it a try if you give me some guidance. The imac its for my son since its old and no longer supported he gets basically no use of many applications which wont connect to the internet cause its not longer supported. Thanks in advance.

I have tried to install linux by usb

Hello again, and see your other Thread :)

Which one, the Ubuntu or the Puppy?

Wizard

I cannot install neither because the booting does not read the USB as a booting devise. I would like to have puppy install. I would like to install it as the only operating system in that G5. I'll take any input, I'm a quick learner and have plenty of time to play with.

Last edited:
I had the same issue. After reading a ton of guides, mostly about doing it from a Windows based machine, I wasn’t able to get it to boot from a USB drive. I used the workaround of a physical DVD/CD as the Mac boot loader had best compatibility with that. It listed two boot partitions on the disc: Windows and EFI - i just chose the EFI and all was well.

Update: I turned down the brightness to 0 from XFCE and now I can’t view a thing. Lol using a live disk to try to sort out. Haha.

Last edited:

Members online