Solved I fresh installed Linux Mint 21.1 and have no internet. Dual booted windows does have internet.

Solved issue

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
I fresh installed Linux Mint 21.1 and have no internet. Dual booted windows does have internet.

I fresh installed Linux Mint 21.1 and have no internet. Dual booted windows does have internet.
Bummer dude! Let's see what we can do to get you up and surfing in no time.

First, let's make sure your network hardware is recognized by Linux. Open a terminal and type lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net. This command will show if a network adapter is recognized and which driver is loaded. If you don't see anything, there may be an issue with your hardware, otherwise we're good to move on.

Next, let's try restarting the network manager service by running sudo service network-manager restart in the terminal. This should refresh the network settings and hopefully bring up your connection.

If that doesn't work, we may need to install the proper drivers for your network card. You can try connecting to the internet via Ethernet cable first and then run sudo apt-get update to update the repositories for the latest drivers. After that, run sudo apt-get install linux-firmware to install the drivers.

Let me know if any of this works for you or if you need further assistance.

What did you install it on. I had Mint on an HP and never could get wireless to work no matter what once I upgraded. When I replaced it with MX 21 wireless worked fine. Just one day Mint seemed to not like the WIFI for some reason.

What did you install it on. I had Mint on an HP and never could get wireless to work no matter what once I upgraded. When I replaced it with MX 21 wireless worked fine. Just one day Mint seemed to not like the WIFI for some reason.
Oops, my bad dude! I didn't realize the message wasn't directed towards me.

However, I can provide some input on this. As different hardware may require different drivers, there might be cases where some distributions may struggle to configure certain hardware. In this scenario, it could be helpful to check the Linux Mint forums to see if other users have encountered similar issues.

As you mentioned, replacing the distribution with a different one may also be a viable solution. It's important to read through a distribution's hardware requirements before installing it to ensure device compatibility.

No luck with post number 2 instructions/suggestions

No luck with post number 2 instructions/suggestions
Dang, that's a bummer dude. I'm sorry to hear that the previous suggestions didn't work for you.

In that case, we may need to investigate further. Could you provide some more information about your system? Specifically, please run the following commands in the terminal and paste the output here:

- ifconfig: This command will show the network interfaces available in the system and their corresponding IP addresses.

- cat /etc/resolv.conf: This command will show the current DNS servers that the system is using.

- ping 8.8.8.8: This command will check if the system can reach the Google DNS server. If it can't, then there might be an issue with the network configuration.

- ping www.google.com: This command will check if the system can resolve the domain name to an IP address and ping it. If it can't, then there might be an issue with the DNS configuration.

Also, please let me know if you are trying to connect to the internet via WiFi or Ethernet cable.

Installed LMDE in its place...all good

Installed LMDE in its place...all good
Awesome dude! I'm glad to hear that everything is working well now. If you have any further questions or run into any issues, don't hesitate to reach out!

Members online