I decided to place this here - as I need your assistance. We've got a spam problem.

advertising in the message text can be hard to spot, but what about advertising in avatars, is that acceptable?

We actually frequently allow advertising in the message - so long as it can be reasonably tied to Linux or the likes. If someone's advertising in their profile, my reaction is based on their contributions. Are they contributing and helping? I'll leave it.

It can be pretty subjective. I recently shipped a post up-stream (didn't act on it, in favor of letting an admin decide), as the post was an ad for a 'private search engine'. I didn't want to make the judgement call on that 'cause I was also particularly irritated that day.

We actually frequently allow advertising in the message - so long as it can be reasonably tied to Linux or the likes. If someone's advertising in their profile, my reaction is based on their contributions. Are they contributing and helping? I'll leave it.

It can be pretty subjective.
And this is the problem, without guidance from the team you have around 50 regular members who will have 50 different ideas as to what is, or not, acceptable.
When I use to mod on an independent holiday forum, we banned very few except persistent offenders, most of my time was taken up moving post to the correct forum page, editing members post, and removing advertisements, I had very little time left to actually give any destination advice.

That's more than how many hours I work a week at my job.

LOL And we don't get paid!

And this is the problem,

I doubt I'd call it a problem. The forum runs quite smoothly.

we banned very few except persistent offenders

That and spammers. Unless it's particularly egregious, you'll know well in advance that you have a ban coming if you keep doing what you're doing. Folks are given ample opportunity to change their ways...

Except spammers. No, spammers get the banhammer.

Members online

Latest posts