I Called it the MX Box

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
Took an 2 year old Pentium gold dual core processor, originally and HP slimline desktop. You would notice upon opening the original case, no power supply. It is just the laptop brick. 7.5 inch square MB. It is now inside a electronics bob that is about 9 inches sq and 2 to 4 inches tapered high. Under the MB is the Sata drive. Installed MX Linux boots to HMDI works well. Had to make my own power button and reset HP had a proprietary plug. Used 2 momentary switches. they are connected Via R PI single needle wires I had that way I can unplug them from the case after removing the top.

Thinking of getting a 10 inch HDMI monitor to use with it. Just some tinkering instead of tossing it out.

MX though seemed to not be a fan of the 160 gb Sata hd. Just before formatting it gave a warning that the life of the drive may be short, even though it passed a check. I guess it wanted an SSD. Let it run a while and inside it only got to about 76F, processor temp. Have a CPU fan and a 40mm case fan on the back corner.

I cannot stop nerding out, with computers. ;)

Other than the HD warning no issues with MX. WIFI, Bluetooth, HDMI, it works outta the USB, (since it did not come in a box) (but now it is in a "box") :D

MX though seemed to not be a fan of the 160 gb Sata hd. Just before formatting it gave a warning that the life of the drive may be short, even though it passed a check. I guess it wanted an SSD.
MX Linux always does a smart check on the hard drive upon installing.

All it's telling you is there are a few sectors that have failed on that hard drive and have possibly been reallocated.

I wouldn't worry about it as I've had the same error when using MX Linux and Antix Linux.

Just keep you important data backed up to another media device and keep using the hard drive until it completely fails.

All hard drives have extra available sectors just for the purpose of reallocation of bad sectors.

Just keep you important data backed up to another media device

Now that is funny right there..... sorry but "Important data" does not really compute to me that much anymore. Spare drive, in a franken-box, I just thought it was kinda funny that drive had been in an alien ware laptop, I put Zorin on to test, it had Win10, I tried out a few other distros using it. MX is the only one that made a small fuss....

That Alienware laptop has an SSD and has been running Peppermint for a year.

Run smart test in gnome disk utility and it will probably show some errors also.

No real errors came up. I think MX just really does not want a spinny uppy thingy as the hd. :eek:

I might be able to test that, but definitely not at this hour of the night. I am pretty sure I have an unused spinning platter HDD and I know I have some unused SSDs. It won't take very long to put one in the bay to test it.

Have a lot of spinny's from 250GB - 2TB full size, and a 160, and 2 500GB small HD's in SATA. Got a lot of them in IDE up to 100GB. Backups, storage not a problem. I find I hoard more then I need. Mint, Peppermint neither had a problem when that drive was in a Alienware laptop, neither did Zorin. Switched it out with a 120GB SSD and running Peppermint on the Alien. Also on my Dell touchscreen laptop. Mint on an HP and MX on a newer HP. Desktop in the only thing running Win.

The new PC is running Win and Mint. WIn on the M.2 NVME PCIE-4 drive. Mint on a SATA SSD and 2 SSD's a storage. So 256GB M.2, 240GB Mint, 240GB Between, and a 480GB new one. Until I decide to move up to a TB

Just put an older Radeon R5 340x in the new build and Linux Mint likes AMD (old ATI) GPU. Not a fan of Nvidia. Just got some clear Lucite hinges for the MX Box build, for the back. Am adding a lift door because I did not put the MB all the way into the back. Too much work to custom cut out a IO Shield.

MX runs very well on 8 gigs of ram and a Pentium Gold 2 core CPU. No problems so far with the little spinny upper HD.

Always ATI they were...then picked up NV card once. Never could get it to work. Soured on them. Then years later tried NV again. Was working fine, good price on a "better" ATI and switched. Never got it to work. Stayed with NV until I started using Linux more and more. ATI was bought by AMD.

All of my ATI and Nvidia graphics cards are from the days of Windows XP and Windows Vista.

They were bad ass cards for there day however compared to the graphics cards nowadays they ain't nothing.

I'd like to do a new build for X-Plane 11 but just don't want to throw down the amount of cash it would take at today's market cost.

Members online