i am new to linux...

R

rajiv magavi

how do i install linux... i use windows 7... is it easy to learn linux

how do i install linux... i use windows 7... is it easy to learn linux
Try to find someone in your area that uses Linux and ask them for their help. Are there any Linux User groups available to you? The answer to your question is far more complicated than can be answered here. I would first try downloading and running several Linux Live-C/Ds to see which one you are comfortable with. This will allow you to run Linux on the same Windows 7 computer without altering the hard drive.

Also you will want to study some tutorials. The Linux Documentation Project is a great resource, along with the various Distro's web sites. Try the following:

Introduction to Linux
Bash Guide for Beginners

Good luck!

Dear rstanley, thank u very much for ur reply... i was helpful... cheers

my computer a dell inspiron mini with a intel Atom processor... i am new to linux and i want to install linux with a graphic interface... should i go for 1) fedora core 2) dabian 3) mandriva 4) ubuntu or 5) knoppix?

I use Ubuntu, it is easy, make a DVD of (your choice), open the drive after you finalize it > when the disc starts to auto play it will allow you to run it in either "live mode" or install from DVD
I would try live mode at first to see if your computer likes it first...if it does chose "install from disc"

Hi Rajiv,

I am also in the same path. I have Downloaded Debian and CentOS.

If you have a good configuration PC (6-core or 8-core CPU & 8 or 16 Gigs of RAM), you can download Virtualbox from Oracle and run any Linux OS as Virtual Machines. For learning purpose that is enough. Virtualbox Download link is below.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Viv.

I know that exists something like Virtual Box. Can I try using Linux in Virtual Box just to know how it works?
You can "try" anything you want. It is your computer. You need NO ONE's permission to try and use Linux, and Open Source software!

As I said previously, try downloading and running several Live C/Ds to see which Distro you want to run in Virtual Box, then install Virtual Box and create a Guest Linux O/S of your choice.

Embrace and enjoy the Freedom!

You can "try" anything you want. It is your computer. You need NO ONE's permission to try and use Linux, and Open Source software!

As I said previously, try downloading and running several Live C/Ds to see which Distro you want to run in Virtual Box, then install Virtual Box and create a Guest Linux O/S of your choice.

Embrace and enjoy the Freedom!

he wasn't asking for permission, he was asking if it was possible
and yes it is...

Members online