I am frustrated and confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel Ronkai

Reaction score
Credits
I love Linux. I have been a windows user all my life and I am sick of it. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try Linux. I install and been using Ubuntu parttime. I really like it but I get frustrated with things sometimes.
The main issue is that there one only that I like to play it is football manager 2017. But for the life of me, I cannot make it work. Look I admit that it is not a paid version so I cannot use Steam. I installed Virtual Machine and put Win10 on it. Installed the game and it is running, but so slowly that I rather not even touch it.

Could anybody besides the wisecracks of, buy the game or used legit copy, an actually useful tip how I can make it work so I can stay on Linux instead of after work to go back to windows.

Because going through the dual boot is a wasting time.

G'day Gabriel and welcome to linux.org :)

I have had the briefest of looks on Google with "linux football manager 2017" and it seems it can be played on Linux using a Windows emulator called "Wine".

However, given you have acknowledged that yours is not a legitimately purchased copy of the game, this site could not condone teaching you how to install it.

Regrets, but we hope you will find other ways to enjoy Linux.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you for your enlightened reply. The fact is I did see it work and you are right about my copy. Beyond that, your last sentence which is nothing but righteous chest banging thank yo for nothing.

righteous chest banging...????

No
. Incorrect Gabriel. The people who produce such games put in a lot of work to get their product to market. A help site such as Linux .org cannot be seen to be supporting cracked copies etc etc,

....the lawsuits would flow thick and fast and we would have no support site ...upon which many, many people rely.

I noted that Chris made mention of the wine program in his post. Be grateful for that.

If you want help, Gabriel please expect people to express their own views. As you have done.
Anyway, the legitimacy of your game aside, what you are seeing with the slow running of your game is a graphics issue that you will always get when running (modern) games in a virtual machine. You could look up graphics card passthrough, which some people say they've managed to get going and have achieved something like native frame rates.
As someone has already said you could install Wine and try to run the game using that. But it can be hit and miss.
If you want to install and play a game that was released for Windows at native frame rates you really should bite the bullet and dual boot. The effort and frustration of trying to get the game working under Linux will probably can be huge compared to setting up dual boot. That's what I do and it's a lot easier than trying to get a particular game to run properly under Linux.
Thanks to Steam, Wine and GOG there is a huge number of games that will run under Linux. That said there are also many that will not. It's a fact that we gamers who choose to run Linux have to accept, even in 2018.
Best of luck.

Look I understand about supporting developers and all that. By the way, I did not ask the site to support me. I asked the members to give a private advice.
But I will figure it out.

If you want help, Gabriel please expect people to express their own views. As you have done.
Anyway, the legitimacy of your game aside, what you are seeing with the slow running of your game is a graphics issue that you will always get when running (modern) games in a virtual machine. You could look up graphics card passthrough, which some people say they've managed to get going and have achieved something like native frame rates.
As someone has already said you could install Wine and try to run the game using that. But it can be hit and miss.
If you want to install and play a game that was released for Windows at native frame rates you really should bite the bullet and dual boot. The effort and frustration of trying to get the game working under Linux will probably can be huge compared to setting up dual boot. That's what I do and it's a lot easier than trying to get a particular game to run properly under Linux.
Thanks to Steam, Wine and GOG there is a huge number of games that will run under Linux. That said there are also many that will not. It's a fact that we gamers who choose to run Linux have to accept, even in 2018.
Best of luck.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, when I run VM it says there is no video support although, I have onboard graphics accelerator. Honestly, the game does not require much in video memory so I will have to see how I can manage that. By the way is there a video passthrough option in VM? Wine is not working I tried many ways. I have dual boot, but I do not want to use Win10 any more and going back and forth is somewhat of a pain. I am doing it right now and I am not liking it. I am running one 2 years old game it should not be so difficult.
By the way, thank you for the answer. I would like to answer your last statement. Never accept the normal or average. When you give in to something that has to be accepted you give up. I never do that in anything.

I have temporarily locked this Thread while I consult with fellow Staff and our Administrator.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online