i am bad at this, help

Reaction score
Credits
ive unindtalled windows, i want to install linux on THE PRIMARY DRIVE which seems impossible (see Image)

i took the advice from the previous thread and it does help, i didn't have any space (2gigs) and i wasn't sure, because when i tried install linux it didn't work after restart, couldn't go back to windows to change to another bootin, so im stuck as unetbootin

i am also fine with my current setup. i just dont want it to delete all my data after every restart.
so if you can help me get my system working in any usable way then thank you.

i am on lenvo laptop, with windows originally installed.

also it says i can't put data in my primary drive do to me being "not the owner"

Attachments

• 20201009_164512.jpg
    20201009_164512.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 316

Do some google searches. I seem to remember running across some mention of some laptops (and I think Lenovo was among them) that have locking feature in the BIOS that prevents unauthorized update. I think there are articles out there about how to get around it. So you'd apply whatever magic is required, then do your linux install. Hope this helps.

keith

Check out the internet. The locking doesn't occur on your drive, but in the BIOS or EFI.....firmware. However, once you solve this problem, formatting the drive before installation would probably be a good idea.

keith

Looks like you are trying to create a bootable iso from a Linux distro since you are using a appimage for etcher. Could you should de output of the command lsblk in the terminal, that would look something like this:
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 1 15.2G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 1 679M 0 part
└─sda2 8:2 1 64M 0 part
That would should all the drives in your system, also the usb drive you want to copy the iso to. Find the name of the device that is the size of your usb drive. In my example output that would be sda. Now you can do the following to copy the iso to the drive. First open a terminal and then type:
sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/linuxmint.iso of=/dev/sda status=progress oflag=sync
Where it says if change that to where you have saved the iso you want to copy to you usb drive and where it says of replace that with the drive that is the size of your usb drive from the previous output from the lsblk command.

If you are unsure feel free to share the output of the lsblk command first before you used the dd command.

Last edited:

Members online