HP ZV5000 - XP - Lubuntu will not start

U

URDRWHO

Ok, last week, even though I chose install along side windows, I was the one that Lubuntu decided to install over my Win XP partition. Got the partition back and programs running.

Today I decide to give the install another try. This time I choose the "something else" option at installation and installed on a newly created partition.

Now Lubuntu will not start and all I get is a blinking cursor.

I can start windows without a problem.

Several questions:

How to I make windows the default start up option.
If I need to do it, how do I uninstall Grub
If I need to how do I uninstall Lubuntu
Can I change the Lubuntu start-up config using the live CD

I once had Ubuntu on this laptop and it worked well. I can't get Lubuntu to play well. Last week when Lubuntu choose to overwrite the windows petition it would boot.

Maybe I should just install Ubuntu and that would overwrite Grub

After what happened last week, I am gun shy to use the windows command to repair commands - bootrec fixmbr and bootrec FixBoot.

Last edited:

lxde can be installed as a desktop environment for ubuntu, so you can still have the excellent LXDE. Welcome to our community and good luck with finding your answers.

How to I make windows the default start up option.
You can change the boot order as here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/100232/how-do-i-change-the-grub-boot-order

If I need to do it, how do I uninstall Grub
You use Windows to: fixmbr . As here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairmbr.htm This will retore MBR (Master Boot Record)

If I need to how do I uninstall Lubuntu
If you mean how do I go back to Windows, I think you just extend the Windows Partition . If you mean how do I load another distro of Linux you just install into the Lubuntu Partition.

I'm think that maybe my laptop doesn't like Lubuntu. I also notice that when running the live disk, the file icons don't show unless my cursor is on them. Some may stay visible, some may not. It may be a video problem? Maybe it is why it doesn't load?

Input the command: lspci

What appears on the line about "VGA compatible controller"

That is your video card.

Yep --- I knew this one
NVIDIA GeForce4

I installed the 32 bit and then I thought that since my HP is an AMD 64 bit I should use 64 bit. I downloaded the 64 bit and ran it live. The icons still do the same thing.

I ran a Ubuntu disk live and didn't see the same issue. Odd????

My laptop is running 2 gig of memory but the HD is only 60 gigs. I do have the external 500 that I off load music, pics, etc. In the end I have enough space that could install either Ubuntu or Lubuntu.

I'm all about running as lean as possible and I would like to use the lighter Lubuntu but I'm having issues.

Input the command: lspci

What appears on the line about "VGA compatible controller"

That is your video card.

Members online

Latest posts