HP Stream 11 Wifi Issues Slow SSH, Using Ubuntu

N

Nbatt

Greetings!

I recently installed Ubuntu 15.04 on my HP Stream 11 laptop and am having Wifi issues. The biggest issue is when I'm trying to SSH. The log in is fine, I read that some people experience long delays trying to sign in to their SSH. The issues I'm having with the SSH is that when I'm typing, there are pauses and delays to when the characters I typed actually appear on the screen. Also, there seems to be connectivity issues at time because my sessions frequently crash. I know the first thing to check would be my internet connection, router etc....However, I can successfully start an SSH session with both my mac laptop and desktop computers and experience no issues. On thing that's odd is that the wifi signal bar on my HP Stream 11 is never full, when at the same time my other devices are displaying full signal strength. Even when I place my HP Stream 11 next to my wifi router, it still shows about 60 to 75 % signal strength. I'm stumped as to why my SSH sessions are so slow. I'm open and appreciative to any advice you could give. I'm thinking of getting a good wifi dongle with a driver written specifically for Linux. Please let me know what you think.

According to the Ubuntu forums there are driver issues for the Realtek wifi card in the HP Stream 11.

The recommendation is to clone this repository: https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new
then build and install the driver (make and sudo make install).

Ubuntu 15.04 ships with Kernel 3.19, maybe upgrading to a newer kernel would be beneficial as well though it could break some things..The Ubuntu kernels are available here:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried your suggestions but nothing really made a difference. I searched the internet high and low and found that many people with the HP Stream 11 laptop have the same or similar wifi issues. If anyone out there has this issue, I did find a viable solution. I purchased a dualband wifi dongle that came with its own Linux driver. This did the trick! I now get full signal strength and experience no SSH lag. I don't know what exactly the issue is with the wifi card that comes with this laptop.

Members online

Latest posts