HP printer installation

Ashton villars

Reaction score
Credits
Trying to print with HP G55xi on Mint 21, Vanessa. printed fine in mint 17 and on my desktop loads drivers and ask to print a test page but doesn’t.
HELP

Have you installed HPLIP ? if so what errors is it giving you?

No,I thought from mint’s response to printer setup it was already installed. Also I deleted the IPP USB function as suggested in the mint 21 notes.
AV

Ok I have 2 different HP printers and mint 21 on the desktop one is usb only the other is usb/wireless both are cups printers [i think yours is as well,] I have found no reason to remove the ipp/usb function, HPLIP works with most HP inkjets and is worth installing,,
so.. if you are using it wirelessly, have you used the network manager [right hand of bottom bar] to make sure you have switched to the wireless printer, and put in the right pass code?
Also check in printers in the mint menu that it see's your printer and that it is enabled [green tick in box] you may have 2 entries for the same printer you can only enable one at a time, if the first doesn't work try the second,
when did you last do a full update? may be worth running from the terminal sudo apt update && apt upgrade enter add your password and enter, and if it offers more updates when it asked y/n just enter

My printer is USB only since it’s lineage is before wireless. Have not done a full update since we updated to mint 21, Vanessa. I will. I. Believe it sees/recognizes my printer because it shows it with a check mark as the default printer and has successfully found it in the list of HP printers and drivers for It, I think
But also keeps showing another fax printer by the same name. Can’t understand why this is so difficult; it must be something simple.
Oh forgot it keeps telling me to press enter and align cartridges?

AV

But also keeps showing another fax printer by the same name.
I did say it might, did you try enabling the second one? did it work?
if not then basics, first disconnect the printer,
second, delete both printers from the print manager in the mint menu
now disconnect the printer from the mains power,remove and replace the USB cable to the printer several times [this cleans the pins] do the same with the usb to computer end, plug the machine in and switch on , the computer should find it as new and reset the drivers,
Oh forgot it keeps telling me to press enter and align cartridges
when did you last change the cartridges ? Have you removed it and then put them back? it will then ask to be realigned,

Without a fault report, I am working blind,

Hello @Ashton villars,

That HP is a bit older than what I've been working with but there was a problem printing test pages, if i remember correctly. So try printing a regular document page. See if it will print. If not this page maybe of help.

Make sure that you have the most recent version of HPLIP installed.
If your printer won't print a test page you can go to the CUPS website select your printer and perform a test page that way.

Thank you for all the info you have supplied me with. I have tried or already done most of what you have suggested except installing the blip-guI package. Tried installing it in the terminal window but it will not run it. Apprently I’m not using the right command words for it to run.
Any suggestions on the appropriate command to use?

Ashton

The hplip package is a .run file.
See here on how to make that file executable so you can run it and install it.

Trying to print with HP G55xi on Mint 21, Vanessa. printed fine in mint 17 and on my desktop loads drivers and ask to print a test page but doesn’t.
HELP
Thanks for all your help. Finally got HPLIP toolbox installed properly and that has solved the problem because it let me define my system as a printer instead of a FAX machine. Now that it recognizes it as a printer it's working as it should. G55XI

Thanks for all your help. Finally got HPLIP toolbox installed properly and that has solved the problem because it let me define my system as a printer instead of a FAX machine. Now that it recognizes it as a printer it's working as it should. G55XI
Thanks for the update-

Members online