Hp Pavilion for Linux

LittlePebble10

Reaction score
Credits
I am new here so please forgive me if this type of thread is not allowed. I used Linux before and it was my preferred system to work on at one time. I had to buy and install Windows10 for my main laptop because college required me to use MS office. I technically don't need it anymore but, I have purchased other software that I need for other reasons. My Laptop that I used for Linux turned 10 and originally ran Windows vista. Needless to say it bit the dust. Its been a couple years and I really miss being able to write code. Especially the txt editor Atom. Is it even possible to come up with a more inspiring txt editor?
My little sister was going to throw away her laptop that she never used anymore and had problems with viruses. I managed to get it to go back to factory settings and basically re-installed itself. Its one of those laptops that was a black Friday deal. Its not the best laptop but, its what I have available at the moment to get me back into Linux. I plan on saving up for a custom built PC for Redhat but, it will be a while before I have the money saved up.
If I can at the very least have a system to re-learn Terminal and basic coding that will be great.Its as the title says a Hp Pavilion Product number E0X70UA#ABA. I am not really interested in touch screen but, I don't mind it being there. If this does not work at all I am ok with buying a refurbished laptop before I start saving up for my custom built PC. I appreciate any help you guys can provide me.

Welcome! A quick Google didn't turn up too much on that model, but this one may be similar. It is most likely a 64-bit Celeron CPU, and if you have 2GB or 4GB of RAM, I'd think it should work pretty well to get you back into Linux. Try out a few distros in "live mode" (running off of the DVD or USB flash drive) and see which seems to work best and use the hardware properly... sound, wireless, etc.

Cheers

I had success installing Linux Mint Serena. At first I tried installing Linux mint XFCE I think it was called and I was unable to reboot without the live usb. The screen said, "boot device not found." So I ended up going on a whim and tried Serena. Even though I was doubtful the system successfully booted without the live usb. I probably spent two hours searching many different linux forums for similar problems to mine. I ended up intalling XFCE terminal because I will kill over if I don't have an image in the background behind the prompt. Yes I know I am weird. Thanks guys for the warm welcome to the forum and assuring me that my laptop will work.

Staff online

Members online