HP Pavilion dm1

Carl Du Toit

Reaction score
Credits
Hello! As I want to constantly keep learning new things and discover the cyber world around me, I've decided to install Linux on my HP Pavilion dm1, it has 8Gb memory and 750Gb ATA HDD, it's an old notebook, I know, but it's the best one I have at the moment :) So right now I'm installing Kali Linux 2018.2 from Bootable DVD, but my question would be, that what Linux distro would suit me & my notebook the best, I want to learn programming in C, C++ and Python, be sure that my system does not get any viruses(Hence Linux installation) have possibility to learn new programs, scripts and possibly write my own tools after couple years of ardent learning and remain anonymous while, let's say, doing that in internet Chaffee or at friends house, but I'm total Amateur just freshly discovering these possibilites. I had Kali Linux from last year installed, so I know a little bit, but had to reinstall because I somehow managed to brake it, couldn't use proxychains and hide my ip. That was major issue for me. So any help and info would be highly appreciated :)

Attachments

• 20180913_184046.jpg
    20180913_184046.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,248

G'day Carl, and Welcome to Linux.org

I am about to send up zzzz's...(sleep)....but will just throw in my two cents worth quickly

Kali linux is a disaster....your mileage may vary....but it is a royal pain....and definitely NOT for beginners

Linux Mint either 18.3 or 19 is a good starting point....it is rock solid and well supported.

AS i read more of your post I see y u have had some experience...more than others......

If you choose to continue with kali...good luck

Linux Mint, you will not go wrong with that.....it is simple and it works.

https://fossbytes.com/best-linux-distros-for-programming-developers/

G'day Carl (yes, I am another Aussie :)) and welcome.

9 in that link to take a look - No.6 Arch you have to build from scratch, populating it with your choice of applications, other than those included with the DE (Desktop Environment) you choose to install. Might be in the "too hard basket", up to you.

Other than that, Brian's (@Condobloke 's) advice above would provide a good foundation for you to learn more about Linux.

So many choices, in Linux, it can be confusing ... but better than no choice at all?

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hey! So yesterday I already installed Linux Mint, can say I'm rather impressed. But facing bugs and problems already, namely, password is fooling around. At first, it was okay and fine, I installed some extra software from the built in bundle or shop, or whatever it is called, and today when trying to authenticate, it says WRONG PASS, I literally copy-paste it and still, tried to change it, can't do that either. Any ideas? :) how do I fix my lovely new system? :D

Hey! So yesterday I already installed Linux Mint, can say I'm rather impressed. But facing bugs and problems already, namely, password is fooling around. At first, it was okay and fine, I installed some extra software from the built in bundle or shop, or whatever it is called, and today when trying to authenticate, it says WRONG PASS, I literally copy-paste it and still, tried to change it, can't do that either. Any ideas? :) how do I fix my lovely new system? :D
Trouble so soon? Welcome aboard, Carl! Any progress on the password issue?

Cheers

Yeah, the Logical Volume Manager was bad as far as I know, also I installed it with OEM at first, then used the built in installation and works like a charm now, guess it was just some sort of bug :)

G'day Carl, given you have used Kali before you may already know about firewalls, but if not you need to enable your firewall asap after install.

Code:
sudo ufw enable

Cheers

Wizard