HP Notebook 15 which Linux for me?

downloading Linux mint 18.3 MATE 32-bit.iso. do i need to download the checksum and verify?

the dvds i have take 4.7 GB data.

have to sleep. getting on for 3 a.m.

Hi @Livid.... the instructions on how to burn a DVD from @wizardfromoz are spot on. The only thing different, if I'm not mistaken, is that you did not download the 32-bit Linux Mint, and that you will be burning the 64-bit version to DVD.

Be sure to take a quick look at the label side of the DVD... that is, make sure it is a DVD and not a CD, since they were given to you and you may not have paid attention to exactly what they were. A CD will not hold as much data, and it does not hold enough to put Linux Mint... so a DVD is required.

If you follow Wizard's instructions and get the DVD burned properly, then you leave it in the drive and try to reboot your computer. You may need to hit some F-key (like F9 or F12) to get to a "Boot Menu" if the computer goes straight into Windows. Watch the screen carefully before Windows starts.... it is usually printed right there on the screen what you need to do.

WARNING!!!!! Once you get the DVD to boot up and Linux is running, you will see an icon on the desktop that says "Install Linux Mint". You should NOT try to install Linux Mint on your computer until you have used the DVD for awhile first and got comfortable with Linux. Installing Linux from this desktop icon can break your Windows and cause you to lose important things on your hard drive, like your genealogy work. I strongly urge you not to try to install too soon.

Cheers

DVD's are 4.7 GB... that is exactly what you need. OK on downloading the 32-bit Mint.... that's fine too, but that was more needed for VirtualBox. I think that the 64-bit version will work on DVD on your computer. Still, let the download finish in case I am wrong.

Cheers

Sorry I am so late every night, but I just got home from work. I am in U.S. Central time, about 7 hours behind you.

Yes, after you download the 32-bit Linux, go ahead and verify it like you did before... it will just be a different checksum string that you need to compare.

Cheers

i removed all the .iso files and Virtualbox. now i am downloading 32-bit again. 0.7 of 1.8 GB is done.
are you sure i should burn the 64-bit and not the 32-bit?

do i need to download the checksum and do the verifying if i burn to a dvd?

i was given both cds and dvds. this one says dvd + r 120 min video 4.7 GB data.

shall continue in the afternoon or evening.

i removed all the .iso files and Virtualbox. now i am downloading 32-bit again. 0.7 of 1.8 GB is done.
are you sure i should burn the 64-bit and not the 32-bit?

do i need to download the checksum and do the verifying if i burn to a dvd?

i was given both cds and dvds. this one says dvd + r 120 min video 4.7 GB data.

shall continue in the afternoon or evening.

I don't think you downloaded 32-bit before... you downloaded 64-bit (at least that was the plan). Let this download finish though, and if you have both 32- and 64-bit, that is fine. You did a verify on 64-bit, if I remember correctly, and you will now need to verify the 32-bit also. This verify operation helps to make sure that your Linux will run properly.... whether on DVD or in VirtualBox.

But you will need to burn Linux to DVD.... it will not fit on a CD. If you can find your computer specifications in Windows, it will tell you whether your CPU is 32- or 64-bit. I think it will be 64-bit, and if so, then it is better to use the 64-bit Linux to match the CPU.

My bad ... if I was confusing the Virtual scenario with a full install scenario :(

The sha256sum for Linux Mint 18.3 MATE 64-bit is

1ec518ec70d76d9634e22bb9e083546d812f869878a3262fc7ae47ecc5b23e40

@Livid you do not need to download the checksums, as I have given them to you, they are universal.

But do get some sleep, and do this when you are fresher, less likelihood of errors.

Cheers all

Wizard

@Livid, let me repeat this warning from above.... I really want this to sink in with you.

WARNING!!!!! Once you get the DVD to boot up and Linux is running, you will see an icon on the desktop that says "Install Linux Mint". You should NOT try to install Linux Mint on your computer until you have used the DVD for awhile first and got comfortable with Linux. Installing Linux from this desktop icon can break your Windows and cause you to lose important things on your hard drive, like your genealogy work. I strongly urge you not to try to install too soon.

Cheers

what does reboot mean? does it mean restart? should i turn off the computer? the dvd was ejected when the burning was finished. i have now reinserted it. it says there are 10 files. one folder is called Boot. there are over 200 files in that folder. i do not know what to do.

what does reboot mean? does it mean restart? should i turn off the computer? the dvd was ejected when the burning was finished. i have now reinserted it. it says there are 10 files. one folder is called Boot. there are over 200 files in that folder. i do not know what to do.

Hi @Livid. Yes... boot means start the computer (also called cold boot), and reboot means restart the computer. The term "boot" comes from a much older term (in computer circles)... "bootstrap". No one uses this archaic term anymore though.

With your Mint DVD in the drive, you can do either one.... boot, or reboot. With luck, it will come up to a menu that will let you "Start Linux Mint". If not so lucky, and it goes straight into Windows 8, then you will have to determine what special key will interrupt your boot process before Windows starts.... this interruption will let you choose to boot on the DVD, and then you should be able to load Linux Mint.

With HP, that special key to interrupt is very commonly F9. So, you need to boot or reboot.... and BEFORE Windows starts, you need to keep tapping the F9 key. You may see a HP logo or just a black screen at this early stage, but tapping the F9 will, I hope, give you your boot menu. DO NOT hold the F9 key down continuously... that will probably give a keyboard error (stuck key). Just tap F9 repeatedly when first booting up.... before Windows starts.

If that doesn't work (try it a few times).... then let us know exactly what model your HP laptop is, and we will try to help research to see if it is something other than F9.

Sometimes, the proper key is printed on the black screen (before Windows starts). So if it is not F9, you may see it printed on the screen... but you have to read it quickly as it goes away very fast to boot into Windows.

So, let us know if this gets you into Linux, or let us know what model your HP is.

Cheers

Hi @Livid. Yes... boot means start the computer (also called cold boot), and reboot means restart the computer. The term "boot" comes from a much older term (in computer circles)... "bootstrap". No one uses this archaic term anymore though.

With your Mint DVD in the drive, you can do either one.... boot, or reboot. With luck, it will come up to a menu that will let you "Start Linux Mint". If not so lucky, and it goes straight into Windows 8, then you will have to determine what special key will interrupt your boot process before Windows starts.... this interruption will let you choose to boot on the DVD, and then you should be able to load Linux Mint.

With HP, that special key to interrupt is very commonly F9. So, you need to boot or reboot.... and BEFORE Windows starts, you need to keep tapping the F9 key. You may see a HP logo or just a black screen at this early stage, but tapping the F9 will, I hope, give you your boot menu. DO NOT hold the F9 key down continuously... that will probably give a keyboard error (stuck key). Just tap F9 repeatedly when first booting up.... before Windows starts.

If that doesn't work (try it a few times).... then let us know exactly what model your HP laptop is, and we will try to help research to see if it is something other than F9.

Sometimes, the proper key is printed on the black screen (before Windows starts). So if it is not F9, you may see it printed on the screen... but you have to read it quickly as it goes away very fast to boot into Windows.

So, let us know if this gets you into Linux, or let us know what model your HP is.

Cheers
do i in order to boot/reboot first press the folder called Boot in the dvd which i have in the computer? or do i first turn off (shut down?) the computer and then turn it on again?

Hi @Livid it is after midnight where @atanere lives, so he may be sleeping. Remember he said he was 7 hours behind you. Is it France, or on the same time zone?

I will be headed off shortly (Australia, east coast), but in answer to your question:

If it is Linux 18.3 'Sylvia' MATE you have downloaded, and you are on a DVD, I think -

1. Go to the bottom left corner of your screen and click Menu ... you should start to familiarise yourself with its contents if you are going to use Linux.
  2. Under System, click Quit, bottom left side
  3. Choose an option - shutdown will shut your system down, you can leave the DVD in if you wish
  4. Restart will reboot, as @atanere has explained, it will soft boot your system, and depending whether you have your BIOS set to boot from DVD ahead of the hard drive, or not, you will either boot back into the Linux Live scenario, or else boot back in to your Windows, I guess.
Cheers and Wizard over and out for now.

Best for the Festive Season.

Wizard

do i in order to boot/reboot first press the folder called Boot in the dvd which i have in the computer? or do i first turn off (shut down?) the computer and then turn it on again?

You do not need to look at the contents of the DVD... there is nothing to do there. The way to make it run is to boot (or reboot) your computer with the DVD in the drive. If it goes quickly straight to Windows, then you need to find the way to "interrupt" it, as I described above.

Still at work today, but we are broke down so I have some spare time at the moment.

Cheers

there is no
Hi @Livid it is after midnight where @atanere lives, so he may be sleeping. Remember he said he was 7 hours behind you. Is it France, or on the same time zone?

I will be headed off shortly (Australia, east coast), but in answer to your question:

If it is Linux 18.3 'Sylvia' MATE you have downloaded, and you are on a DVD, I think -

1. Go to the bottom left corner of your screen and click Menu ... you should start to familiarise yourself with its contents if you are going to use Linux.
  2. Under System, click Quit, bottom left side
  3. Choose an option - shutdown will shut your system down, you can leave the DVD in if you wish
  4. Restart will reboot, as @atanere has explained, it will soft boot your system, and depending whether you have your BIOS set to boot from DVD ahead of the hard drive, or not, you will either boot back into the Linux Live scenario, or else boot back in to your Windows, I guess.
Cheers and Wizard over and out for now.

Best for the Festive Season.

Wizard
there is no Menu at the bottom left of my windows8 screen. there is a windows button and then an explorer button and then something from HP.
i do not understand "boot" or "reboot" yet. does it mean turn off and then turn on my computer again?

Members online