HP Laserjet m140we Setup Problems

charlie.corder

Reaction score
Credits
@Condobloke
Help!!!
I just bought a new HP LaserJet m140we.
I installed it on my Linux Mint 20.3 una.
It recognizes the printer.

1663443317165.png

However, it will not even print a test page.
I have an idea that there is a driver missing somewhere along the way.
I do get this message:
1663443522127.png

I don't know where to find the meaning of the error (5012).
I am confused.
Thanks in advance for your help. (Or anyone else who might help).
OG TC

+ 1 for HP's Mine is great with Linux Envy 5500 series.

I have a HP Printer and it was recognized out of the box for me! So my money is also on HP Printers.

I have an Epson XP 245 printer...had to find and download drivers...wasn't easy to install them.
mad0016.gif

Both printer and scanner work but no ink levels...so I installed it in my win 7 VM and now have everything.
happy0035.gif

@bob466 :-

Another long-term Epson user here. I admit, the driver installation CAN be a little fussy, but so long as you do things in the correct order, they're as reliable as the day is long.

Re: Ink levels. Umm.....were you aware of the existence of the Epson-printer-utility? I've been using it for some years. Requires Qt4, but that's not a issue usually. It gives you your ink levels, performs head-cleaning, allows a nozzle-check, etc. It also permits switching between multiple printers if you run more than one.

You're in Mint, so installing the downloaded .deb package with gDebi should pull any needed dependencies in as well.

----------------------------------------------

You'll find it here for your XP-245:-

Enter "XP-245" for your model, "Linux" for the OS, and hit the Search button.

Looks like this:-

Screenshot-233.png

(My printer name showing as pale grey is entirely due to the GTK2 theme I'm using. Normally, that'll show up in black).

Hope that helps. It should run natively in Mint. I'll be extremely surprised if it doesn't.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I have used, Brother, Epsom, Lexmark, Cannon and HP, no real problems with any of them, except with the Linux basic drivers often the ink level indicators do not work, I am on my 3rd HP [I am still in morning of my photosmart all in one, the feed rollers have had it, and it's not cost-effective to replace them] I now have an Envy all in one

How do I do that?
LM ...all applications..scroll down to printers, open, you should get a box with your printer on it, if the image of a printer has a green tick then that is enabled if not click on it to highlight, then click on printer in the headings and scroll down and click set as default, should do it

LM ...all applications..scroll down to printers, open, you should get a box with your printer on it, if the image of a printer has a green tick then that is enabled if not click on it to highlight, then click on printer in the headings and scroll down and click set as default, should do it
Thanks Brick.
Must be my old brain ain't working so well. I did set this printer as the default printer.
Everything is still the same.
In the top right hand corner, I get the black boxes. One says that the print job has started. The next box says it has completed. Lots of sounds in the printer like it's working, but no print.

sounds in the printer like it's working, but no print.
There is something wrong somewhere, try uninstalling and re-installing the printer
or I could get silly and ask if you unpacked it properly and not left any inside, jamming the printer somewhere

There is something wrong somewhere, try uninstalling and re-installing the printer
or I could get silly and ask if you unpacked it properly and not left any inside, jamming the printer somewhere
That's not silly {at least not anymore LOL}.
I did unpack it properly. I then followed the instructions that came with the printer, to go to 123{.}hp{.}com for install instructions.
Funny thing is, I did print a couple of pages and thought it was good to go.
I can still print these two sheets:

Screenshot at 2022-09-18 11-51-26.png

Screenshot at 2022-09-18 11-50-48.png

Thanks for your patience.
OG

Informative. when I buy a wireless printer ill go with HP. thanx boys!

charlie.corder wrote:
I am confused.

If you search online for "Device Communication Error (5012) HP" there's quite a few proposals.
If you are running cups, what do the logs at /var/log/cups/error_log say? Are there any other logs information such as from journalctl, or in /var/log/syslog?
Code:
 journalctl -u cups.service -e
grep -i cups /var/log/syslog
less /var/log/cups/error_log

Further if cups is controlling the printer then, before trying a re-installation of the printer, you could try to cancel all jobs, power-cycle the printer and try again for a test page. To do this, bring up cups in a web browser with: http://localhost:631, then run through the menu: Administration -> Manage Printers -> <select printer> -> Maintenance -> Cancel All Jobs. Power-cycle, try and print the test page. Sometimes a printer can choke on jobs and this procedure has fixed it.

Edit: sorry I didn't see the output in post #12 before. Didn't appear on my screen. The problem is clear from the output.

Last edited:
@bob466 :-

Another long-term Epson user here. I admit, the driver installation CAN be a little fussy, but so long as you do things in the correct order, they're as reliable as the day is long.

Re: Ink levels. Umm.....were you aware of the existence of the Epson-printer-utility? I've been using it for some years. Requires Qt4, but that's not a issue usually. It gives you your ink levels, performs head-cleaning, allows a nozzle-check, etc. It also permits switching between multiple printers if you run more than one.

You're in Mint, so installing the downloaded .deb package with gDebi should pull any needed dependencies in as well.

----------------------------------------------

You'll find it here for your XP-245:-

Enter "XP-245" for your model, "Linux" for the OS, and hit the Search button.

Looks like this:-

Screenshot-233.png

(My printer name showing as pale grey is entirely due to the GTK2 theme I'm using. Normally, that'll show up in black).

Hope that helps. It should run natively in Mint. I'll be extremely surprised if it doesn't.

Mike. ;)

Thanks for that Mike...haven't used the printer for some time...got new ink but doesn't print very well...think heads are stuffed...time for a new printer.
confused0041.gif

Charlie, work through the above first by all means.

Failing those, did the printer have a CD/DVD in the box, with drivers on it? The right driver would likely end in .deb or .ppd.

If one or the other applies, sing out and we can proceed. Even if there is a .rpm (Redhat) file with the appropriate name, we can work from that.

Allow for my timezone in the Land DownUnder.

Cheers

Chris

Charlie, work through the above first by all means.

Failing those, did the printer have a CD/DVD in the box, with drivers on it? The right driver would likely end in .deb or .ppd.

If one or the other applies, sing out and we can proceed. Even if there is a .rpm (Redhat) file with the appropriate name, we can work from that.

Allow for my timezone in the Land DownUnder.

Cheers

Chris
@wizardfromoz
Hello Chris,
I checked the others above with no success.
There was no cd/dvd with the printer. {That brings back memories when everything came with an installation disk. My first flash drive had one of the small cd's with it.}
Checking the website for supported printers, it showed that the one I have - HP LaserJet m140we - needs to have the 3.21.10 version, not the current one 3.22.6 being offered. However, I can not find where to download that version.
I'll be turning in for sleep time pretty soon, so will check back tomorrow to see what you might have stumbled upon.
Many thanks to all who have given me advice.
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

May have something for you, Charlie.

I ran a Google search with keywords

linux driver HP LaserJet m140we 3.21.10

then confined the search to linux results

"linux" driver HP LaserJet m140we 3.21.10

That lead me to a page

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2021/11/hplip-3-21-10-debian-11-zorin-os-support/

and within that to a link

Download & Install HPLIP 3.21.10:​

1. Firstly, download the .run installer package from the link page below:

Download HPLIP (.run)

From that page, you can see 3.21.10 about 5 down, so go for that?

See how you go and let us know.

Cheers

Chris

Members online