HP LaserJet 1010, Printer Problem: How to change version PCL from XL (6) to 5e ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

@kubutek G'day and welcome to the community.

Have a look at this site

and this is the comment section under your printer

Comments
To get all functionality of this printer working under Linux, especially also the non-printing features, like printer status and toner level, use the HPLIP driver package from HP.

Cheap, compact desktop laser printer, foldable tray for 150 sheets, A4/Letter/Legal, up to 12 pages/min.

HP classifies this printer as "host-based" whereas they claim the HP LaserJet 1015 to understand PCL 5e. But the HP LaserJet 1010 and 1012 seem to understand a stripped-down (raster-graphics only, no text) variant of PCL 5e.

Rick Richardson (rickr at mn dot rr dot com), author of the "foo2zjs" driver (driver for the HP LaserJet 1000/1005), has examined the output of the Windows driver for this printer and found out that the language looks like PJL + PCL 6 (see report on the HP forum on OpenPrinting).

Adam (madaman at web dot de) reports on the HP forum on OpenPrinting that the HP LaserJet 1010 works for him with all raster drivers for the HP LaserJet 1100 (HPLIP, "ljet4", "lj4dith", "gimp-print"). Adam tried also PCL-6 drivers ("lj5gray", "pxlmono") but without success.

Unfortunately, the new LaserJet 1010/1012 series seems not to be absolutely compatible with older HP printers or it has a firmware bug. Sometimes it happens that the printer stops working and reports the error "Unsupported Personality: PCL". It only continues working when one kills the job and power-cycles the printer.

The problem of the "Unsupported Personality: PCL" was finally solved by Carl Michal (michal at physics dot ubc dot ca). By analyzing the output of the Windows driver he found out that after the BeginSession operator in the beginning of a PCL 6 job a special sequence of 8 bytes has to be added. He added it by a filter to the output of Ghostscript's "pxlmono" driver and from then on the printer worked (Implemented as the "pxl1010" driver on this site).

I am unsure if this helps you or not but I do hope so.

Ok. I am new at linux.
What I should do to force my printer to work.
Tell me step by step please!

Thanks

Fuck This! I give up! I cannot spend day after day trying to install fucking printer!
Fuck Linux! And that's my final word.

God Bless Stone Age!

@kubutek :(
That makes two us then.:)
I do not have the necessary knowledge to lead you step by step through the process to get your printer going aright . @wizardfromoz and @TechnoJunky these two of many may have the knowledge to help you.

I do not know how well you are acquainted with the terminal of your distro of Linux. But you may have to use it to install the fix. By the way what distro are you running?
As this is the file you require to fix your problem.

But there is one thing this grey old head has learnt over the years when it comes to technological problems is patience. You have printer problems and I have internet problems but the both of us will overcome those problems.

Look. Printer Is In The Garbage! LoL So... Again. Fuck Linux, Fuck Drivers and Fuck Printers!

Locking this Thread to input, prior to amalgamating them into one Thread (there are others) if the OP continues her interest. Thanks to all Helpers.

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online