HP Deskjet 2544 printer - need help running under Linux

marlowenormal82

Reaction score
Credits
Hi. I am brand new, just like Granny. I have an HP Deskjet 2544 printer. Is there a way I can use it with my Linux computer. I bought the computer without knowing it was a Linux system.

Well you picked well since eg with slackware it has as default a package called hplip
; if your OS doesn't have it you should be able to get it.

When your printer is attached to PC via a usb printer cable and your printer is powered up all you have to do is open up a terminal window and type:

hp-setup

HP printers are well supported in Linux. Since this thread is in the Mint forum, just open the software center or Synaptic and look for anything with "hplip", especially the GUI part. Install the packages, setup the printer, start printing.

O.K., you may need a little more hand-holding, but in general, that is the approach. Start there, and when you see something that doesn't look right, come back with questions.

Thank you all. I will look for the hplip. I thought I downloaded it but didn't really see anything that indicated I did it correctly.

I saw hplip-3.19.1.run in the download folder. But I don't know how to open it. It's asking if I want to use View, Office or Open with text. I don't know what to do from here.

Also, I'm not sure where to find the software center or Synaptic. I'm BRAND NEW to the Linux world. So step-by-step instructions on not just what to do, but how to get there (what to click, etc.) would be very helpful. And thank you all so much for taking the time to assist. I really appreciate it.

Captain Sensible, when I typed hp-setup in the terminal window, it said
ERROR: unknown command: hp-setup
I guess I didn't download and open hplip correctly.

the best way of getting hplip is via your OS repo ; so remind me your operating system . What ever it is you should have in your menu some sort of package manager.

if its Debian based then from a terminal try :

apt search hplip

It's either penguin or crosh. When I go to apps and click terminal, it's my name and penguin. When I press ctrl+alt+t, it's crosh.

Great news. The download worked. I'm not quite sure WHAT it downloaded yet. But something is definitely downloaded. (It took 5 minutes)

Ok. I've downloaded the latest hplip file and it's in my download folder. But I don't know how to get it to run. The only choices it gives me is to open it using Word, text or to delete.

If you input the command given above into a Terminal ^^^: sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
it should download hplip-gui from Repository and dependencies AND INSTALL IT...

Yes. I did input the command and it downloaded pages and pages of stuff. How do I install it? What do I click? What do I open? Again, I'm BRAND NEW at this.

Yes. I did input the command and it downloaded pages and pages of stuff. How do I install it? What do I click? What do I open? Again, I'm BRAND NEW at this.

Look for "Printers" in your applications menu.
Or plug your printer in and turn it on. Select a text file and choose "print". A 'Printer' dialog box should open if the HPLip is installed.

yes hook up your printer to PC by usb printer cable
maybe try (if all else fails)

hp-setup

from terminal window

Thanks Captain,

This was the message I got when I typed hp-setup

HPLIP cannot detect printers in your network.

This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports. When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link. http://hplipopensource.com/node/374