hp 15-bs212wm Laptop won't boot with ubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64

whatmecomment

Reaction score
Credits
Lost my old ubuntu ID so starting with this new one. Just bought a hp 15-bs212wm Laptop and tried install with ubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64. It won't start Boot screen and auto goes into windows 10 boot. Tried first as thumb boot and was pleased that the wifi had all it's drivers as that had been an issue with older computers, years back. All worked fine until I tried to install as dual boot then it wouldn't boot except into W-10. Yes I disabled secure boot in settings. Am stuck with install using thumb drive & wifi auto updates during install whether that might be issue? Had one neighbor say that some laptops would not work with ubuntu anymore but have heard that rumor forever, none the less ??? Tried 2 installs with same results.Deleted partitions where ubuntu attempted install so am ready to try fresh install whenever. Don't rush to respond as won't check back for a few days, but any ideas will possibly help.

Have you tryed to install another distro like Debian or Ubuntu 18.04.1? Or an Installation in an usb-drive?

Reactions: Rob
...and auto goes into windows 10 boot.

Windows 10 (theoretically, or for practical purposes) will only boot under UEFI conditions, young Wizard. :).

From HP's support site, the laptop ships with Windows 10, has a Celeron processor, 4GB RAM and a 500GB SATA HDD. Sufficient to run any Linux.

@whatmecomment , welcome to linux.org .:D

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, thinks "Is that my flying saucer, in that avatar? I have been looking for it, and it is unregistered")

You might want to find and disable Fast Boot as well, in your setup utility.

Ubuntu's installer is named Ubiquity.

In Ubiquity, did you choose the option to install alongside Windows?

Having Windows 10 on it, there will be a small partition, formatted to FAT32, maybe 500MB in size, called an EFI System Partition, or ESP. With a dual boot, Linux will make use of the same partition, where Windows is installed.

You mention having deleted the partitions where Ubuntu was first installed, how many partitions did that involve.

In your Windows 10, there is a facility known as Disk Management.

Can you use Windows Snipping Tool to take a screenshot and upload that to us, so we can see your current partition configuration?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Reactions: Rob
Windows 10 (theoretically, or for practical purposes) will only boot under UEFI conditions, young Wizard. :).

Not quite right, oh wise one. :eek::D I am running dual-boot with Win 10 on a MBR/BIOS system (bought in 2009 with the first-day Win 7 release).... works fine. In fact, you can even download a 32-bit version of Win 10, if desired, direct from Microsoft.

This shows my current drive layout (msdos):
Screenshot from 2019-02-24 23-57-02.png

Cheers

Who WAS that masked man?Nice to see you Stan :)

Not quite right, oh wise one. :eek::D

Hence my saying, in part

Windows 10 (theoretically, or for practical purposes) will only boot under UEFI conditions

Add to that that the unit was released around June 2018, shipped with Windows 10 installed, and was sold and reviewed at Walmart, then ipso facto QED it will be a UEFI computer.

Disk Management Summary page will confirm, showing BIOS type as UEFI over Legacy.

Cheers

Wizard

Only have a few minutes, hard to respond accurately to all comments. Will try to get back when I have more time but will copy page and study responses. For now will include an image of my partitions. No did not try any other ubuntu system.
partition illus 2.JPG
Partitions.JPG

I use an older partition assistant and have divided my last 2 HDs using windows 10 into as many as 12 partitions. Windows hates it! Windows will try auto repair, but it can do no repairs after that big a change. But that may be a big part of why my new ubuntu installs are not taking, I consider. Take note also that I confine Windows into a small partition with less than 500mb empty to stop it's crazy updates, (no room for updates) but need to watch that partition or it will fill none the less with logs n such. I know, no surprise I am having difficulties. With last attempt of ubuntu install I had I think 10 partitions total. I still think it can be done, whether windows likes it or not. I have a full install of win10 saved in case I need it, but am wondering if just going to only ubuntu will be a wise move, if that is possible. Thanks for everyone's time.

Last edited:
(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, thinks "Is that my flying saucer, in that avatar? I have been looking for it, and it is unregistered")

ufo.gif

Alas,
That saucer has terrible filter clog with silica after sensors failed to warn of loose silica deposit when landing. What can we expect with these used vehicle salespersons? Will teach me to keep vents closed when landing.

As to number of partitions deleted, I think it was 2 from each attempt at install, for a total of 4. Am considering removing Recovery partition as well as that only gives Windows bad ideas. Also there is a small 16mb unallocated partition that could be deleted as well. Am considering a permanent thumb (flash) drive install as the thumb does work well in trial mode...

I should also mention that it has been about 3 years since I used ubuntu and do note many changes, so I may be unfamiliar with current details.

Last edited:
BIG like on the saucer :) ... are Michael Rennie and Klaatu going to step out of it? :D:D

so I may be unfamiliar with current details.

Sing out if you need help, we've got your back.

Wiz

BIG like on the saucer :) ... are Michael Rennie and Klaatu going to step out of it? :D:D

Sing out if you need help, we've got your back.

Wiz

No, Klaatu stopped recording when everyone found out they weren't the Beatles! :cool:

For those that are confused by our alien banter please follow these golden links;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_(band)

Seriously tho, on creating this dual boot, which is not taking the way the drive is partitioned, I am considering drastic operation to see if I can make it work. Hate to do this as I had windows under control as it is, but here's ,my idea and will wait to see what you think b4 I do it. :::

First since the partitions are messing with the boot issue, I consider deleting everything and restoring to out of box condition. Then I will use my old partition program to delete all partitions except for C: . Will shutdown and before attempt to reboot will add thumbdrive and install ubuntu hoping it will see the windows system and self create proper dual boot. Am thinking that the removal of tools,efi, and restore will leave no digital option but to do so, or...am I reaching? Going back to out of the box and then thinking out of the box, well I do love to experiment, but fear I may end up with no way to reply here again if it doesn't work. Have lost research before to some digital company and really want to end up with a secure system instead of having an open back door that sells everything out.

That reminds me, I have heard of a new firewall that can shut down windows telemetry while leaving all else open; here is the name of the download file; (freefirewall-x64-setup) that would be followed by extension exe. Actually has a button that can be engaged for that purpose only while functioning as a normal firewall otherwise, but, does anyone know if it is safe?:rolleyes:

Enough to think of for now, would love if someone else has tried what I consider with the hard drive, but am willing to risk all if that is what it takes.o_O

That reminds me, I have heard of a new firewall that can shut down windows telemetry while leaving all else open; here is the name of the download file; (freefirewall-x64-setup) that would be followed by extension exe. Actually has a button that can be engaged for that purpose only while functioning as a normal firewall otherwise, but, does anyone know if it is safe?

I would imagine there would not be a snowballs chance in hell of that being 'safe'.....flashy website, and everything apparently is 'free'......So.....what pays the bills ?

Your data/information being gathered and sold.

I have to do a road trip soon, but will take a further look a little later in my weekend at your options :)

Wiz

BTW - are you sure you are only 43? I liked Klaatu (band)

I have to do a road trip soon, but will take a further look a little later in my weekend at your options :)

Wiz

BTW - are you sure you are only 43? I liked Klaatu (band)

Yes I too liked Klaatu, & similar bands like ELO, Beatles, Moody Blues... As to true age that's debatable , I do remember the times before birth and after, however the actual birth seems to have been wiped from my conscious mind, must have been traumatic experience. Since most people accept birth date as an indication of age will leave it at that.

As to my prior concepts deleting efi does leave me wondering if it will then be able to boot from usb ubuntu, or at all, but leaving that partition in could just leave me back where I started... I consider even try at creating an ISO image homemade with dual boot including copy of windows & ubuntu preinstalled, but that seems incredibly complicated and bound to have multiple tries before any chance at success. Wonder if this PC can work with just Ubuntu?

Edit;
Another thought, would it be possible to migrate windows 10 to a flash and use Ubuntu as the primary operating system? Wonder if that would be a violation of windows agreement? I only use windows for a few functions and testing out website designs for windows users. Don't understand why this hard drive is having such an issue with Ubuntu?

Last edited:
Just tried another ubuntu install without changing anything and it failed again. A sure sign of madness, wanted to deliver my bonifide Mad Scientist credentials so there could be no doubt. At any rate here is an image of the new partition to compare with the old after partitions from before.
Pt19.JPG

Any new ideas?

I'm back (sort of) regrets on the delay :), will have further input in a couple of hours.

Wizard

Well, I went ahead and experimented a lil. I went thru a full reinstall of windows 10 and then I deleted a very small partition and this is what I had at that point;
Partitions 3s.jpg

Then I tried to install ubuntu and it only allowed a possible install of ubuntu while not recognizing win10. So I split the C partition and tried again with 4 partitions and it recognized win10 but when installing; failed. Went back n forth with various configurations but either would not recognize win10 or would not install correctly. Sooo, went ahead and redid win10 partitions for actual use and now have this setup;
Partitions  5.JPG

Did seem like I was fighting an aware system that did not want ubuntu installed at times, but hopefully that is just frustration, lol. (Has Ubuntu been outlawed anywhere?) Am still able to use flash drive ubuntu and an earlier version flash drive of mint(cinnamon) , that last I use to cut out parts of win10 that I abhor such as IE, win mail etc. But I did try the installs of ubuntu before I started slicing and dicing win10. Oh mint would not recognize win10 when I attempted an install of that , but that is an older version of mint.

Eecchh :confused:, these partition changes are confusing me o_O

What's in the 21.40 GB on X: From Beyond?

I would be inclined to use GParted from the Ubuntu USB stick to manipulate the size of the following partitions to gain the most Unallocated Space as possible, joined into one contiguous block:

X: From Beyond and

E: Programs

Then shuffle *: WINRE up "above that Unallocated Space, leaving the big block at the "bottom", for use with Linux.

The end result would look something like this:

PARTITION FILE SYSTEM CAPACITY USED SPACE FREE SPACE FLAG STATUS

SYSTEM FAT 32 As above on all figures,
Flags, Status

WINDOWS NTFS As above on all figures,
Flags, Status

From Beyond NTFS 25.00 GB 21.40 GB 3.60 GB GPT None

Programs NTFS 10.00 GB 1.96 GB 8.04 GB GPT None

WINRE NTFS As above on all figures,
Flags, Status

* Unallocated 380.87 GB 0.00 GB 380.87 GB GPT None

Certain figures would be different in your case.

The 25 GB and 10 GB I chose to represent From Beyond and Programs are arbitrary, depending on what you already have there and if you need more or less.

With the Programs, the 1.96 GB used is likely a formatting overhead due to the original size - with 10 GB it might be as little as 250 MB or so.

I'll end this Post while I reboot and check something on a Live Ubuntu stick, back soon.

Wizard

(mods pls delete this response if u feel its inappropriate)

i recently went thru a similar ordeal & then i contacted their tech support & i asked them if they culd send me a driver to unblock the machine...they gave me the driver under the condition that installation voids the warranty and tech support on the machine...the driver reflashes the BIOS & adds a boot option to deactivate UEFI secure boot and allows u to install linux...

& btw as it turns out there really is a good reason why they block the machines... it came as a quite a shock that this time it wasnt microsofts fault after all...

Last edited:
That may be necessary.

"Klaatu", do you have any password-driven components to your Setup? If so, disabling might assist. Secure boot, Fast Boot, can all provide impediments, but if they are off, they are off.

We have a Member @blackneos940 who has/had the same machine. Adam are you around at all, and can you provide any input to this Thread?

Cheers

Wizard

Wiz, what you describe is very similar to what I have already tried, but appreciate the attempt. The X section is for research data.Looks like BlackNeos940 has been off about 10 weeks. I even had password login for the machine off when I tried to install last dual boots.

https://www.linux.org/members/78535/
Billy, Are you saying that this really is done on purpose by HP?

Wish there was somewhere I could buy a preinstalled ubuntu machine around where I live, I don't buy anything online anymore, far too many "broken" new equipment for that, and service contacts are a joke. This forum is better than most service contact sites. Looks like I may be stuck with a windows machine that I don't like or trust online. My only joy is reformatting it and watch it scream back about this or that error and "windows must shutdown" then it tries to fix the fatal error and after that it boots just fine, lol.(Sorry Data) But Ubuntu will not dual boot, grr.

Latest posts