hp 100e (solved)

gwb21471

Reaction score
Credits
I bought a old laptop off of ebay. It is a old hp 100E school computer. It has a atom cpu with 2gb memory. It only takes a 1gb or 2gb memory. So i got the maximum memory in it. The cpu is one core two threads. it came with windows 7 32bit starter and i looking for a version of linux that will work with 32bit computer. I did a search online by i kept getting 64bit version of linux. I know 64bit versions need 4gb memory. I would install windows 7 starter back on but you can't do anything with windows 7 since it not updated anymore or used. I was told to put widows xp on it but i have few laptops with windows xp and i like to try linux on this one. Well thank you for any help i do get.

Just because it came with 32-bit Windows doesn't mean it is a 32-bit machine. They did that because it was cheaper.
I'm sure that I ran 64-bit on one core, two threads. 64-bit doesn't need 4Gb of RAM. I'm writing this on an HP Stream - 64- bit, only 2Gb of RAM.

Burn/write a 64 bit .iso to DVD/USB and see if it starts. It quite likely is 64 bit.

Most but not all Atom processors were 64 bit, but some early ones were 32 bit, try a 64 bit lightweight distribution first, if this dost work then, peppermint 32 bit, MX 32 bit and Debian stable 32 bit should run without any problems

edit.. the Intel Atom N455 is a1.66gh 64 bit processor

I got bored.

This is some educational device, meant to be sold wholesale only - for education departments. They were basically meant to hand out to children back in the day.

Curiously, it has a manual for using it with SuSE: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02468736.pdf

The CPU is 64 bit, an Atom N455, so OP might as well use 64 bit: https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca...-n455-512k-cache-1-66-ghz/specifications.html

They are correct in the RAM limitation. It supports a maximum of 2 GB of RAM. That's going to be a pretty major hitch for anything computationally expensive, like browsing is these days. We're talking a handful of open tabs at once kinda browsing. Trying to stream video is going to crush the CPU at any reasonable resolution.

But, it'll run Linux and give you a taste of it. Linux is pretty awesome and will run on that older hardware just fine. You probably won't even have to install any drivers - it should just work out of the box. Ain't nothing fancy in there to worry about.

You'll probably regret your purchase at some point, wishing you'd held onto your money and saved up for a more powerful device. You'll want a lightweight distro, which is something others will perhaps opine on. I'm a fan of Lubuntu, but I am pretty biased.

Thank you everyone. I try light weight 64bit Linux. If it runs to slow I put a 32bit Linux on there.

If it runs to slow I put a 32bit Linux on there.

That won't make it run faster. If anything, it'll run slower because it's not using all the kernel address space, and is made even more complicated with PTI (Page Table Isolation). But, it boils down to 64 bit being faster on 64 bit hardware, regardless of the RAM available.

Members online

Latest posts