How to write script for login of Ubuntu?

dnlaua

Reaction score
Credits
I'm pretty noobish at Linux and I wouldn't know the first way to go about this. How would I write a script that presses the Enter key as soon as I type in the right password to login? When I login to Windows 10 and put the pin, it automatically signs me in when I type it right (Or maybe since it's the pin, it's once I type 4 characters, not necessarily if it's right or not? Not sure). I know it's not a big deal to press the Enter key, but I just feel it's smoother on Windows when it automatically signs me in and I would like to learn how to customize Linux more anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I find this to be a BIG security risk. Here's why, lets say your password is sercurepass and I think your password is really serucepassword. I start typing and once I hit the last 's' I'm logged in. If the system would have made me press the enter key I would have never been able to login and would still be guessing what your password is. By automatically logging me in once I have the correct key sequence is in no way safe and makes breaking into your system that much easier. Even if I automated the login and have the wrong password as above I would still gain access to your system because once your system see the key combination it logs me in.

People need to stop being so lazy. This is one of the reason why we have so many security breaches everyday.

Mind sharing your ip address?

I find this to be a BIG security risk. Here's why, lets say your password is sercurepass and I think your password is really serucepassword. I start typing and once I hit the last 's' I'm logged in. If the system would have made me press the enter key I would have never been able to login and would still be guessing what your password is. By automatically logging me in once I have the correct key sequence is in no way safe and makes breaking into your system that much easier. Even if I automated the login and have the wrong password as above I would still gain access to your system because once your system see the key combination it logs me in.

People need to stop being so lazy. This is one of the reason why we have so many security breaches everyday.

Mind sharing your ip address?
Makes sense. I appreciate the input. Don't appreciate the smart-alecness.

I think it goes automatically once it has X characters - which wouldn't work for a password field unless you force x chars long on the system.

You'd need to edit the login process - which, as a non-programmer/coder, i'd have no idea where to start other than finding the correct process, find and modify the code, then re-build it.

It's something that certainly could be done by someone who would know how to do it, but a lot more involved than you're thinking.

If I had a beak like Robert's I'd have an attitude too :rolleyes:

Seriously though, and Robert knows me for an Aussie Larrikin, who won't miss the chance for a pun, security is one of the fundamentals of Linux over other OSes.

On that subject, @dnlaua , have we checked with you that you have your Ubuntu firewall activated? It is not activated by default, for reasons that are beyond my ken.

Code:
sudo ufw enable

Avagudweegend, all - yeayy the site is back up

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online