How to use non system disks in Linux

khedger

Reaction score
Credits
So I've got a server that I've installed 3 SSD drives into. My intention is to use one of the drives as the 'root' drive, where software will be
installed, home directories will live, etc. (btw this is for a home server where I'm basically the only user) The other two drives will be put
into a RAID array.
Now the question is one of best practices I think. In a configuration like this, let's say I want to install mySQL. I envision installing it on the 'root' drive
but I'd like to have the databases themselves (the data) live on the RAID array. Same thing with something like GIT.

So is this the way a config like this is usually done? If so, how is the RAID array used for the data. Do I put links from the root directory. For instance, for mySQL, there would normally be something like /usr/bin/mysql/data, would one typically link this data directory to a different directory in a filesystem on the RAID array?
If not, then how is this sort of thing typically done?

I hope I've been reasonably clear and don't sound like a complete moron, but any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

keith

In commercial enterprise database systems, the data is almost always on a separate disk from the OS.

One question to ask is.. is the data more important than my OS?
Having a RAID for data is great, but if your OS dies, you're still down for the count.

Almost how big are you looking to make this database? How many users?
MySQL is fast, but it has a reputation for not scaling well. If you have more than 25 users
or so, you may want to go with something scalable like postgresql or even noSQL (mongo,
elasticsearch)

You can make a mount point for any external disk (RAID included).
You could simply call it " /data ". But just about any name will work.

@dos2unix -- how does mariadb compare for this purpose, in your opinion?

@dos2unix -- how does mariadb compare for this purpose, in your opinion?

mariadb is basically mysql. The code is branched from mysql.

It isn't really just my opinion. It's dozens of benchmarking articles.

@dos2unix -- Thx! was wondering about PostgreSQL, too. So, thanks for the links, as well.

Members online

Latest posts