How to use Linux server as a router?

hcode

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys. I'm new at linux server. And i have a project that i have to use linux server as a router. But i don't know where to start how to do it. I could use any advice/ path to do this thing. I will be grateful if you guys help me out.

G'day @hcode and welcome to linux.org :)

Is this an assignment for school/study purposes and if so, what information has the teacher given you?

We can't help you do your homework for you, but we may be able to steer you to search engine references for you to read.

Are you using a Linux currently, and if so which.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@wizardfromoz Hey. Thanks for your answer. No this is not a homework and i don't have any profit from it. He just asked me to do this to learn somethings better. So that's what I'm trying to do. After I have done with this I must be able to answer any questions about this. As I ask I need a road map/advice not someone to do this for me :)

Im using this one kali-linux-2019.1a-amd64. But If you have any suggestion I'm open.

Last edited:
I understand, and thanks :) I have to head off for my Australian evening, momentarily.

I run 90 Linux or so, but not into Server stuff, so I won't be the one to answer your questions.

If Kali is your first Linux, it is not a wise choice. It is for experts with at least some years of experience with Linux, if then. The penetration/security tools found in Kali can be duplicated in most mainstream Distros.

In typing the following, I will "ping" a few people more experienced than I in this regard, and you can take their advice.

Jas (@JasKinasis ), @Rob , and @kenJackson

Good luck

Wiz

I understand, and thanks :) I have to head off for my Australian evening, momentarily.

I run 90 Linux or so, but not into Server stuff, so I won't be the one to answer your questions.

If Kali is your first Linux, it is not a wise choice. It is for experts with at least some years of experience with Linux, if then. The penetration/security tools found in Kali can be duplicated in most mainstream Distros.

In typing the following, I will "ping" a few people more experienced than I in this regard, and you can take their advice.

Jas (@JasKinasis ), @Rob , and @kenJackson

Good luck

Wiz
Yes it is my first Linux. I see. I will wait for others advice. Thank you so much. Have a great evening.

I would ask why are you learning this stuff. Is it to become a Linux administrator for a corporation in the future or are you learning for personal knowledge? If it's for becoming a professional, I would suggest using either Fedora or RedHat. Now it is very possible that corporations use other distros. The one I work for (has a worldwide presence) uses RedHat. We have hundreds of thousands of Linux servers and they're all RHEL. I've been working there for 20 years so I don't know much about what others do, but it's my opinion that RHEL is the enterprise standard because the have enterprise support licensing and all that. Fedora is basically the end users version of RHEL. So you can get community support until you get going at work. Sorry I can't help with the router part but I do know that RedHat servers can most definitely do that.

Last edited:
I would ask why are you learning this stuff. Is it to become a Linux administrator for a corporation in the future or are you learning for personal knowledge? If it's for becoming a professional, I would suggest using either Fedora or RedHat. Now it is very possible that corporations use there distros, the one I work for (has a worldwide presence) uses RedHat. We have hundreds of thousands of Linux servers and they're all RHEL. I've been working there for 20 years so I don't know much about what others do, but it's my opinion that RHEL is the enterprise standard because the have enterprise support licensing and all that. Fedora is basically the end users version of RHEL. So you can get community support until you get going at work. Sorry I can't help with the router part but I do know that RedHat servers can most definitely do that.

Hello. Thanks for your reply. I'm getting Cybersecurity lessons also Cisco networking lessons(Got some windows server lessons aswell). I want to learn how these things works together. I learn better with these stuff so i asked my
lecturer what can I do about this and he recomend this stuff. I did some research there are some firewalls exist for to do this stuff but I want to learn server side and network side.

Sorry about my english tho. I feel like I couldn't explain myself very well.

In order to configure a Linux server as a static router, you need to have sudo privileges on your host. In order to verify it, you can run the “sudo” command with the “-v” option. If you don't have sudo rights, you can have a look at our tutorials on becoming sudo on Debian or CentOS distributions

Staff online

Members online