How To Upgrade Debian 9 to Debian 10 Buster via Command line

atanere

The instructions look clear and concise to me, but do not ignore Instruction #1. If you make a good backup, it will not be a disaster if things go badly.

I'm not sure about the need to reinstall drivers... you might. I tried running Buster on a live USB and it did not recognize my old graphics card at all. It wouldn't boot because of it. You may want to try the same thing... booting on a live USB first to see how your system may react. But the upgrade process still may work for you, rather than a fresh USB boot.

Good luck!

Alexzee

Thanks atanere for answering my questions.
One more question please:

Is there a command that I can run to find out all of the programs that were already installed on the Debian 9 system?

In other words is there a way to get a listing of things (programs and applications etc.) that were installed after the Debian 9 installation was complete?

Last edited:

atanere

There are probably over 2000 applications installed... and that list is probably not what you want. The best thing is to keep track yourself of favorite programs as you build out your system. However, when I'm ready to install a new system, I also realize that I do not want all the stuff that I've previously installed and have now forgotten about! The things that I use regularly will quickly come to mind as I get a new OS ready to go.

We discussed a few ways of listing installed programs in another thread not long ago that may help you. There is no perfect solution, but maybe one of the techniques there will give you what you need.

Cheers

Alexzee

I've downloaded the .iso for Debian 10 Mate.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to perform a fresh install or just use the command-line to upgrade from Stretch to Buster. Decisions, decisions--

Been shopping around online for a new desktop build so I may just hold off on installing Debian 10 until I'm finished with the new build.

Members online

No members online now.