How to uninstall pycharm-community-2017.1.4 from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?

calele

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone so I have been hard at work learning Linux and also learning Python, but a few days ago I came across a command that lets me verify if a file I want to download is legit by verifying its SHA checksum. Long story short I want to remove Pycharm completely and than re-install it verifying the checksum prior to. So the following are commands that I tried so far with no result:

sudo apt-get remove pycharm-community-2017.1.4
sudo apt-get remove pycharm
rm pycharm

Please any guidance I can get will be greatly appreciated, by the way I included a .txt file with the results of my attempts at removing Pycharm.
Very Respectfully,
calele

Attachments

• removing_pycharm.txt
    573 bytes · Views: 2,435

Hello everyone so I have been hard at work learning Linux and also learning Python, but a few days ago I came across a command that lets me verify if a file I want to download is legit by verifying its SHA checksum. Long story short I want to remove Pycharm completely and than re-install it verifying the checksum prior to. So the following are commands that I tried so far with no result:

sudo apt-get remove pycharm-community-2017.1.4
sudo apt-get remove pycharm
rm pycharm

Please any guidance I can get will be greatly appreciated, by the way I included a .txt file with the results of my attempts at removing Pycharm.
Very Respectfully,
calele

Hi @calele and welcome! It seems like your question doesn't make a good poll since you've already stated that neither command works! :confused::D

If you installed via Synaptic, you should be able to emove it via Synaptic also. If not, see if this works:

Code:
sudo apt remove pycharm pycharm-community && sudo apt autoremove

This snippet (for a slightly older version) was found here. And if it does work, as the link recommends, you should remove the PPA by going to System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other Software tab.

Hope that works for you.

Hi @calele and welcome! It seems like your question doesn't make a good poll since you've already stated that neither command works! :confused::D

If you installed via Synaptic, you should be able to emove it via Synaptic also. If not, see if this works:

Code:
sudo apt remove pycharm pycharm-community && sudo apt autoremove

This snippet (for a slightly older version) was found here. And if it does work, as the link recommends, you should remove the PPA by going to System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other Software tab.

Hope that works for you.

Thank you for the quick reply, so I tried that command and no luck, and than I also went and verify the PPA in the System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other Software tab. But there was nothing about Pycharm in there for me to remove or edit.
I just don't get it I ran the commands to remove the software but it still there on my launcher and in my Download directory if there was an un-install software application this would have been so much easier. It sucks not knowing how to think like a Linux user :( I guess I'm going to keep trying.
Thanks
calele

Thank you for the quick reply, so I tried that command and no luck, and than I also went and verify the PPA in the System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other Software tab. But there was nothing about Pycharm in there for me to remove or edit.
I just don't get it I ran the commands to remove the software but it still there on my launcher and in my Download directory if there was an un-install software application this would have been so much easier. It sucks not knowing how to think like a Linux user :( I guess I'm going to keep trying.
Thanks
calele

Yes, Linux is different from Windows... but better! :D You've actually done the right thing to uninstall software most of the time (sudo apt-get remove package-name) so don't let this episode discourage you. Remember that there are many ways to install software, so there are also many ways to uninstall. We just need to figure this out.

But also, before going further, your first post indicates you only want to uninstall so you can check the SHA256 checksum, and then you plan to reinstall. If the program is working for you, I would skip this and just keep enjoying the program. If you still have the original file you downloaded, go ahead and check the SHA256 checksum to be sure. But in the future it is a good idea to check SHA256 sums or MD5 sums to help ensure your downloads are not corrupted.

If at all possible, can you remember how you installed it? You seem to know the exact version of pycharm-community but there is also a professional version (just "pycharm") that costs money, but it has a free trial. Did you install both? I downloaded the community edition and was in the form of a zipped tarball... pycharm-community-2017.1.5.tar.gz, and after unzipping it I find a "Install-Linux-tar.txt" file with instructions how to install it.

So, here is something to try. It should generate a list of where all the pycharm files are stored:
Code:
dpkg -L pycharm-community-2017.1.4

If you also installed the free trial of the professional version, try this too:
Code:
dpkg -L pycharm

One of the nice things about Linux over Windows is that there is no "Registry" that needs cleaning up. So for programs that do not uninstall normally (with apt-get remove)... it is okay in Linux to just delete all the files of a program to remove it from the system. In fact, this link describes this very method to remove pycharm from Ubuntu.... except do not follow those directions because the pycharm file locations has changed.

Hope this helps. I think you're fine to leave it alone as long as the program is working okay for you.

Members online