How to uninstall a program that does not show up on the menu?

Billtour

Reaction score
Credits
The installation didn't add Scribus to the menu. It turns out it's not going to work for me, so I want to uninstall it. A terminal command maybe?

The answer to that question is, "Well, that depends entirely on how you installed it."

One of the reasons I like gdebi is because you can open the .deb you used to install it and then uninstall it in a nice, handy GUI.

I thought to go to the package manager, where I installed it from, and I removed it completely. Thanks for being there if I need you.

To elaborate...

You can build from source, install from install script, install with snap, flatpak, or appimage, you can cp or mv binary files, etc...

All of those have very, very different ways to remove them. Some will even need to be removed manually because the author only wrote an install.sh and the uninstall.sh just simply doesn't exist.

So, there are all sorts of ways - and it depends on how you installed stuff.

I realized my answer sounded unintentionally flippant. Don't get me wrong, I'm sometimes flippant! This was just unintentionally so. Or that's how it could have been interpreted. So, I figured I'd elaborate.

It's Linux, there's always multiple ways to do something.

Edit: Here's an answer where I helped someone remove MySQL from their system:

Members online

Latest posts