How to troubleshoot a TI launchpad not running under Linux?

jiguanhua

Reaction score
Credits
Hi to all, so embarrassed, I have no experience with microcontrollers , except for a friend who starts from me and then gives up projects halfway through. I have hardware and code, want to finish this project, but I forgot to do most of the things, two years ago and I reinstall the operating system s+ http://www.kynix.com/Detail/251694/SYSTEME S+.html, so I don't set my development environment. I don't know C, but I can program in other languages.

My code does not do anything when I try to run it. To check if the microcontroller is communicating with the computer properly, I looked around for tutorials of . This is what I found:

1. I should start mspdebug: Installing MSPGCC4 and MSPDEBUG on Kubuntu 10.04
    . I don't even know what I should expect to happen, but what I get is an error.
rumtscho@simak:~/Projects/sovfor$ sudo mspdebug -d /dev/ttyACM0 uif
[sudo] password for rumtscho:
MSPDebug version 0.19 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Daniel Beer <[email protected]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Trying to open UIF on /dev/ttyACM0...
Initializing FET...
uif: read error: Connection timed out
fet: open failed
Trying again...
Initializing FET...
uif: read error: Connection timed out
fet: open failed.

2. I should run a minimal program. I got to the make step, included <msp430.h>instead of because the compiler suggested it. Then I got another error:
rumtscho@simak:~/Projects/had_launchpad-blink-master$ make msp430-gcc -Os -Wall -g -mmcu=msp430g2553 -c main.c In file included from main.c:32:0: /usr/lib/gcc/msp430/4.6.3/../../../../msp430/include/signal.h:43:2: warning: #warning msp430-libc deprecated, using [-Wcpp] main.c: In function ‘main’: main.c:65:11: error: ‘TASSEL__ACLK’ undeclared (first use in this function) main.c:65:11: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in main.c:65:26: error: ‘MC__UP’ undeclared (first use in this function) main.c: In function ‘TIMERA0_ISR’: main.c:79:27: error: interrupt vector offset ‘TIMERA0_VECTOR’ is not an integer constant make: *** [main.o] Error 1

If I understand it correctly, the included library is deprecated, and so the variables it should contain are not found and the compiler thinks they are undeclared. But I don't know if this is the correct interpretation, and how to find the correct library to use.

As you can see, I'm quite over my head here. Can you suggest what next steps I could try? How do I start talking to the controller?

I am developing on Debian Wheezy, and installed all the packages suggested in various tutorials (everything with msp430 in the name, and a few others). I took the versions available in the Debian repository, did not compile from source.
Thanks all guys!

Hi @jiguanhua and welcome to linux.org :)

I am "beyond my paygrade" with what you describe, but we have a number of Debian users here, and a number of people better versed in programming, so hopefully one of them will be along soon to help.

I have to wonder, though, whether you are "locked in" to developing in Wheezy. Its LTS (long term support) only goes to end of next May, and I wonder whether Jessie or Stretch might be more accommodating.

Good luck, and I will watch with interest.

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts