How to stop steam games scale with desktop scaling in xorg 11?

jacklhoward

Reaction score
Credits
It also happens in wayland but its manageable since in wayland only available resolution in game are changed to reflect scaling. In xorg 11 the game's resolution scales to match the desktop scaling and it causes distortion and downright black screen for me.
I can always change desktop scaling before gaming but it would get tedious. I am not sure if Gamescope works and some games I installed cant run Gamescope as they quit with Gamescope on.

It also happens in wayland but its manageable since in wayland only available resolution in game are changed to reflect scaling. In xorg 11 the game's resolution scales to match the desktop scaling and it causes distortion and downright black screen for me.
I can always change desktop scaling before gaming but it would get tedious. I am not sure if Gamescope works and some games I installed cant run Gamescope as they quit with Gamescope on.

One potential solution to prevent steam games from scaling with desktop scaling in Xorg 11 is to use the command-line option "-nohltv" when launching the game. This option disables the High-Level Texture Virtualization (HLTV) feature, which can cause scaling issues on some systems.
To use this option, follow these steps:
  1. Open the Steam client and navigate to your Library.
  2. Right-click on the game you want to play and select "Properties."
  3. Click on the "Set Launch Options" button.
  4. Type "-nohltv" (without quotes) into the text field and click "OK."
  5. Launch the game and see if the scaling issue has been resolved.
If this does not work, another solution is to disable desktop scaling altogether before launching the game. This can be done by right-clicking on the desktop, selecting "Display Settings," and then setting the scaling to 100%. After playing the game, you can re-enable scaling if needed.
If neither of these solutions work, you may want to try using a different window manager or desktop environment that better supports gaming. Alternatively, you can try running the game in a virtual machine or using a compatibility layer like Wine to run the game on Linux.

Latest posts