How to solve low disk space problem in VMs?

heiseNberg

Reaction score
Credits
While upgrading in ubuntu vm in virtualbox a popup message showed up saying Low Disk Space (of about 200mb) left ....delte trash to clean up space. I did remove the trash files. Even after that, after a few moments same message popedup!!
I had allocated 10Gb disk size while setting up the vm in virtualbox!! How can I resize(increase) the vm disk space!!! and solve this problem !! Please help....

While upgrading in ubuntu vm in virtualbox a popup message showed up saying Low Disk Space (of about 200mb) left ....delte trash to clean up space. I did remove the trash files. Even after that, after a few moments same message popedup!!
I had allocated 10Gb disk size while setting up the vm in virtualbox!! How can I resize(increase) the vm disk space!!! and solve this problem !! Please help....
You should be able to increase it manually.

Read the article in full. It covers that.

And don't quote/reply anybody whose text has a URL in it for a few days. I told you it causes your Post to come across my desk for approval.

Thank you.

BTW, I don't need to be quoted, I know what I said. Use the Reply option in an empty window pane at bottom, not the Reply button in my Post.

Wizard

Did you read and try the following, from the article (obviously without the Windows bits)?

Enlarge the Virtual Machine’s Partition​

You now have a larger virtual hard disk. However, the operating system’s partition on your virtual hard disk is the same size, so you won’t be able to access any of this space yet.

image150.png

You’ll now need to extend the guest operating system’s partition as if you were enlarging a partition on a real hard disk in a physical computer. You can’t enlarge the partition while the guest operating system is running, just as you can’t enlarge your C:\ partition while Windows is running on your computer.

Advertisement

You can use a GParted live CD to resize your virtual machine’s partition – simply boot the GParted ISO image in your virtual machine and you’ll be taken to the GParted partition editor in a live Linux environment. GParted will be able to enlarge the partition on the virtual hard disk.

First, download the GParted live CD’s ISO file from here.

Load the ISO file into your virtual machine by going into the virtual machine’s settings window, selecting your virtual CD drive, and browsing to the ISO file on your computer.

image151.png

Boot (or restart) your virtual machine after inserting the ISO image and the virtual machine will boot from the ISO image. GParted’s live CD will ask you several questions while booting – you can press Enter to skip them for the default options.

Once GParted is booted, right-click the partition you want to enlarge and select Resize/Move.

image152.png

Specify a new size for the partition – for example, drag the slider all the way to the right to use all the available space for the partition. Click the Resize/Move button after you’ve specified the space you want to use.

image153.png

Advertisement

Finally, click the Apply button to apply your changes and enlarge the partition.

image154.png

After the resize operation completes, restart your virtual machine and remove the GParted ISO file. Windows will check the file system in your virtual machine to ensure it’s working properly — don’t interrupt this check.

image155.png

The virtual machine’s partition will now take up the entire virtual hard disk, so you’ll have access to the additional space.

Note that there are easier ways to get more storage – you can add a second virtual hard disk to your virtual machine from its settings window. You can access the other hard disk’s contents on a separate partition – for example, if you’re using a Windows virtual machine, the other virtual hard disk will be accessible at a different drive letter inside your virtual machine.

Wizard

Annotation 2022-01-14 221438.png
Now what should I do?? I'm confused what to delete from here...and how to resize sda5...!! The sda1 says 510mb boot...I don't know if this would be a good idea to delete it. Please help me out after this process....How to resize and increase the disk space filling the unallocated space!!

click on the sda5 - now right click select Resize/Move and drag it to the end of the unallocted space - now click Apply the green check mark and let Gparted do it's thing

Is it mounted you will have to unmount it then run gparted

The vm is now running the gparted !
How am I supposed to open the terminal and run this command!!?
The VM should not be running Gparted - You have 2 options one run Gparted from a Live USB or you can download Gparted Live - https://gparted.org/download.php and boot that up then access your VM - make sure your VM is set to boot optical drive use first - myself I use Gparted Live - use can use Gparted if it is installed - just not on the drive it is installed on, but on other drives as long as those drives are unmounted

The VM should not be running Gparted - You have 2 options one run Gparted from a Live USB or you can download Gparted Live - https://gparted.org/download.php and boot that up then access your VM - make sure your VM is set to boot optical fan use first - myself I use Gparted Live - use can use Gparted if it is install just not on the drive it is installed on, but on other drives as long as those drives are unmounted
Annotation 2022-01-14 232737.png
So now vm something like this. Yes optical disk was set before harddisk for boot.....
Now as u r saying I've to unmount the sda5. Just help me out what to do now....for unmounting and then resizing the sda5. Please say the next steps what to open and what to do...

Last edited:
You boot the VM to a live instance (selecting it during boot with F12, and then selecting the .iso) and use GParted from that. You don't boot the VM normally and edit the disk size. You boot to a live instance just like you did when you installed Linux - except this time you won't be installing. Make sure the .iso has GParted, so Ubuntu will do the trick - as will many other distros with GParted already installed.

Yep do not boot or load the VM must boot to the Live as KGIII states

After you boot on the live ISO, follow the instructions above to resize sda2 first, and then resize sda5. The reason is that sda2 is an "extended" partition and serves as a container for sda5, so you must make the container big enough first. Click the green check mark to apply the changes and reboot back to your VM.

To make it perfectly clear - you enlarge the available space in VirtualBox before you boot to the live .iso and increase the size of the partition.

It looks like this:

Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager_001.png

Then you do the whole boot to a live .iso and adjust the size.

Members online

Latest posts