How to run software made for Red Hat 7.7 on Red Hat 7.8

Looby219

Reaction score
Credits
My university supercomputer cluster runs red hat 7.8, however my CFD software (Ansys) says it is only compatible with 7.4-7.7. Do any red hat pros know the different dependencies that changed with 7.8 and if it is possible to get it to run software designed for 7.7? Or maybe there is some sort of compatibility mode?

Typically, things do not break between RHEL releases. The only time things break is when the program is compiled for a very specific kernel, which this probably wasn't, since it's compatible with RHEL7.4-7.7. Worse case, you can try installing the compat libs but I don't think you'll need them.

Typically, things do not break between RHEL releases. The only time things break is when the program is compiled for a very specific kernel, which this probably wasn't, since it's compatible with RHEL7.4-7.7. Worse case, you can try installing the compat libs but I don't think you'll need them.

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately the software is already installed and is having issues running. What kind of compatibility libs are available? How do I install them?

Is this compiled code? If so, try using "ldd /path/to/binary" to find out what the required libraries are. Then, you can use "yum whatprovides */name-of-library" to find the package you need.

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately the software is already installed and is having issues running. What kind of compatibility libs are available? How do I install them?
It shouldn't really make much of a different since it's still RHEL 7.x. Only difference is there will be packages that have been updated in 7.8 that haven't been updated in 7.7.
It's kind of hard to guess, check syslog/journal for error message or if the software has it's own log file check for errors there. Also if you are runnining RHEL you have a subscription which also includes redhat support ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts