How to run GNU/Linux on a Mac

H

hangemhigh

Hi all, this is my first post, hopefully this is in the right place!

I am attempting to learn assembly through a book called Programming From the Ground Up.

In the book everything is ran on GNU/Linux. My issue is that I am using a brand new Macbook Pro (Sierra OS) and I'm unsure of the best way or how to go about running GNU/Linux on here so I can work along the chapter exercises.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Probably the simplest way would be to install VirtualBox. VirtualBox provides software to host a virtual machine (aka the guest OS) that you can then run a full Linux system inside. This is completely separate from your Mac system (other than the space the files take up on the 'host' system, and CPU/RAM used while this virtual machine is turned on).

Once you have VirtualBox installed, download an ISO image of a flavor of GNU/Linux like Ubuntu and follow the instructions to install the software from the ISO file inside a Virtual Machine. (Google for 'install ubuntu on virtualbox mac')

Hopefully, this is enough to get you started! Good luck.

Thanks Damon!

I will look into that option - I also read that dual booting with a flash drive could be an option. Finally, do you have any opinion or experience on VirtualBox vs. Parallels?

Well, VirtualBox is free, so it has that going for it... I haven't used Parallels personally.

Yup I am installing Ubuntu on VirtualBox as we speak - thanks

Members online

Latest posts