how to run application

Status
Not open for further replies.

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
This may be the stupidest question , but
I know how to "install" from repostory and run the app
I know how to download Windows app (x.exe) and make it "run" it in Linux under Wine.
I know how to extract etc...
I know how to use "installer" when available.

I do not know how to run an application which does not tell me which file is executable
and reside under what folder /bin (?)
best guess ?

I am a newbie as I am learning Linux as well, but from what I learned is that in Linux, as you mention there is no .exe where its clear that it is the file that you can double click to install something.

In Linux, a lot of files can be executed, but these files are different. For example, you can run the "file" command to identify the type of file it is:

Code:
file /usr/bin/zip
/usr/bin/zip: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, BuildID[sha1]=23828e8aed39c7700a8c7bee9c8e996a8a9dea55, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, stripped

Just keep in mind that in Linux, a file name or extension of a file doesn't necessarily relate to an executable file per se, many files can be executed.

It would help to know which application you are talking about?

It would help to know which application you are talking about?
I have downloaded EAGLE installer.
The instruction say to
"right click on downloaded (compressed - zip ) file and run some ubuntu app manager ( do not quote me on the name of it ) .
That manger ask where to extact the zip file.
After extraction is done I am asked to "open the files"
I open the folder and get several subfolders and ONE file name "Eagle" .
So far no "Eagle installer" .
So I clicks on "Eagle " and absolutely nothing happens.
There is no "open" or change property to "run" - this is all on Ubuntu - no Windws.

I am temptedd to downlaod EAGLE for Windows - maybe that will work via Wine

Does this help in any way: https://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/blog/how-to-install-autodesk-eagle-on-windows-mac-and-linux/

Basically it looks like you need to extract EAGLE like you did, and then open the folder in terminal and run:

Code:
./eagle run

EDIT: Just tested this in a Mint 20 VM, seems to work. I dont have an account so I didnt try signing in, but if this is the app you're referring to, seems to work on my side.

1628019910130.png

Last edited:
Look for the files like 'readme.md' or the likes, obviously after extraction. Then read that. It's also often on the project/software co.'s pages. When extracting, it's easiest to extract all the files into a dedicated directory. Otherwise it's a giant mess mixed with other files that just are clutter at that point.

There's no consistent way that's universal. Different software will have different installation methods. It's a Linux thing.

Look for the files like 'readme.md' or the likes, obviously after extraction. Then read that. It's also often on the project/software co.'s pages. When extracting, it's easiest to extract all the files into a dedicated directory. Otherwise it's a giant mess mixed with other files that just are clutter at that point.

There's no consistent way that's universal. Different software will have different installation methods. It's a Linux thing.
Yes, I do always extract to dedicated folder .

I have two issues here - I have used "installer" on other apps and in this case there is no installer.
I am really not interested finding out which link in the chain is not working.

I usually post specifics, when I can, and in this case I wanted to confirm if it works for somebody else - so far it was not really successfully answered.

Now since ubuntu pretends it was installed as Windows app , but it won;t run under Wine - again I am not intersted finding out which part does not work ( I suspect Ubuntu) - and I am not going to ask if somebody tryied to make it work that way - since I did not get much help in Linux case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.