How to remove Windows 10

Wike1970

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Everybody

I have a question which I hope someone can help me with. I decide to install Linux Mint 20.1 on desktop PC. The odd thing is that it had Windows 10 Pro on it. And after it had installed Linux Mint 20.1 and I start the computer a menu comes up where it ask which system I want to start. It say "Linux Mint 20.1....", "Flag Linux Mint 20.1...." and the last one "Windows 10". How can one remove Windows 10 fully? And is there a way to do so. I also discover that the second hard drive is not a Linux format. So it has only formated the first one and not the second one. Is that why I get this menu or is there another reason I get it? I hope someone can help me with this. I am planing on buying a SSD for it and remove both hard drives would that be a better solution?

Yours
Christer Wickman

Were you dual-booting before or did you do a clean install and wipe the entire disk during your Mint install?

I told Linux Mint to erase everything from the first Hard drive. So it I understand it should have remove everything from it. There is a second Hard drive to the second IDE channel. I am not sure what happen but Windows 10 was on the first Hard drive which was together with the DVD-burnnen on the first IDE channel.

Yours
Christer Wickman

Can you open a terminal and share the output of: lsblk

This is what this command show me after typing it in:
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 232,9G 0 disk
└─sda1 8:1 0 232,9G 0 part
sdb 8:16 0 465,8G 0 disk
├─sdb1 8:17 0 512M 0 part /boot/efi
├─sdb2 8:18 0 1K 0 part
└─sdb5 8:21 0 465,3G 0 part /
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

And now the output of the following: efibootmgr -v

Hi.

I get a very odd error messages when I write in this. I checked with Program Manger and it says that the command is installed. But I get this messages when I type in this command "EFI variables are not supported on this system". And I tested as much as can and it says the same thing all the time.

Yours
Christer Wickman

Hi.

I get a very odd error messages when I write in this. I checked with Program Manger and it says that the command is installed. But I get this messages when I type in this command "EFI variables are not supported on this system". And I tested as much as can and it says the same thing all the time.

Yours
Christer Wickman
That only means that your PC is not UEFI but legacy BIOS.

Hi

This is the motherboard that is in this Desktop PC: P5KPL-AM SE. I bought it may years ago. Right now it has American BIOS or something like that. The CPU in it is a Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHz, it also has ASUS GeForce GT 610 in it. More then that I don't remember. But I think it not how I remember. It has two Hard Drives. And I thought that the WD 500Gb hard drive was on IDE channel 1. But it seams that is wrong. And the it is on IDE channel 2 while the Samsung 250Gb is on IDE channel 1. Because on command: lsblk
It says SDA 232G.... And SDB 465G. I think 500Gb is SDB which I thought on IDE channel 1 isn't on IDE channel 1. But as far as I know the BIOS in is call American BIOS or something that way.

Yours
Christer Wickman

You don't have to write your answer in large bold letters, can you share the output of: ls -l /boot/efi. I suspect that you were dual-booting before and that Windows was setup as efi boot or something like that, so when you start the system it's still picking up the Windows efi boot partition from somewhere.

I think it is because the second IDE hard drive is Still formated as a Windows hard drive. Sorry when I copy the motherboard name om my smartphone everything became bold letters. But I thought it would format both Hard drives att the same time. But since it seams that the 500Gb hard drive was on IDE channel 2 and the 250Gb hard drive is on IDE channel 1 it didn't do so. If I format the 250Gb hard drive will the dual-boot option go a way? Or should I wait? I have plans to remove both Hard drives and replace it with 1Tb SSD soon since I did so on laptop and it became much faster om boot up. And it would be hook Up to SATA channel.

Yours
Christer Wickman

Can you share the output of: cat /etc/fstab ?

This is what I typing it in Terminal:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
UUID=304e152a-aad4-4985-91c4-b75514292ab7 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=64F0-0256 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
/swapfile none swap sw 0 0

And can you share the output of: blkid ?
And can you share the output of: ls /boot/efi ?
And can you share the output of: ls /boot ?

The command "blkid" give me this respond.
/dev/sda1: UUID="FEDA3A6ADA3A1EF9" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="08110811-01"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="64F0-0256" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="47cbaa81-01"
/dev/sdb5: UUID="304e152a-aad4-4985-91c4-b75514292ab7" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="47cbaa81-05"
When I type in "ls /boot/efi" it tells me that there is no catalog with that name.
When I type in "ls /boot" it tells me this:
config-5.4.0-58-generic initrd.img-5.4.0-58-generic vmlinuz
config-5.4.0-65-generic initrd.img-5.4.0-65-generic vmlinuz-5.4.0-58-generic
efi initrd.img.old vmlinuz-5.4.0-65-generic
grub System.map-5.4.0-58-generic vmlinuz.old
initrd.img System.map-5.4.0-65-generic
I might remove the two hard drives in this machine and replace it with a SSD since I did so in my laptop it is the best thing I did to it. The SSD is much faster then a hard drive.

Members online

Latest posts