How To Remove Grub From Windows 10?

_Default

Reaction score
Credits
After deleting Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon from dual boot, Ive noticed that my grub bootloader is still there. How can I get rid of it so that I can do a clean install of Linux without having an error pop up saying "unable to install grub"

Can you describe the fashion in which you deleted it, ie was it from Windows or other (such as GParted from an install medium)?

A blow by blow would help for whomever is next up at the batting plate, :)

Wiz

How can I get rid of it so that I can do a clean install of Linux without having an error pop up saying "unable to install grub"
If you just do a clean install it will install a new and working Grub2 and NOT report "unable to install grub".

No. Ive tried multiple things so far and every time i tried to install (after removing linux) it would tell me grub couldnt be installed and my installer has crashed. It gives me an error message each time.

Hi all, take a look through this article, and start where it says

Step One: Delete Your Linux Partitions

https://www.howtogeek.com/141818/how-to-uninstall-a-linux-dual-boot-system-from-your-computer/

The early reference to WUBI is of no consequence to you.

See if you think that is what you did, and if not, try it.

The bit about expanding out your Windows to fill all the free space is the way to eliminate all traces of Linux.

If that all works for you, then when you come back into installing Linux, let its partitioning process resize Windows for you.

Cheers

Wizard

For UEFI and if you can boot into Windows:

(If the issue is just that you need to remove grub (but you didn’t delete the Windows boot loader), then you can do that without any installation media.)

Open the command prompt as an Administrator (e.g. press the Win key then search ‘command prompt’; right click and select ‘Run as administrator’)
Mount the EFI partition where the boot loaders are stored by running mountvol z: /s (you can use any letter if z is taken)
Move to this partition by typing z: and Enter
Move to the folder with the boot loaders by running cd EFI
Remove the ubuntu boot loader by running rmdir ubuntu and accept default Y (recursive)
Run dir to check what other bootloaders you have. There should a be Microsoft one and there might be a Boot one.
Exit console and reboot. Your PC should now boot directly into Windows.

Members online

Latest posts