How to recover Linux after a power surge puts it in emergency mode

I feel I need to fully disclose that I am truly a novice when it comes to computing.

No need, Liz - our bad if we lapse into Geek Speak from time to time. Any time you are not sure of what we are saying, just ask for a fuller or less technical explanation.

It's not about dumbing down for you, it's just about good manners, and good tutoring.

Timezones can be a problem, so make Google or DuckDuckGo (another search engine, Linux-friendly) your friend, and using "fsck" Andy mentioned above, search eg

linux what is fsck

and you'll get an idea while you are waiting for the person helping.

We've got your back.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

That sounds like the thumb drive is unmounted.

Can you 'see' the thumb drive .....if so....right click on the thumb drive and select 'mount'

If you cannot see it, take the thumb drive out, and then reinsert it.
I removed the thumb drive and then reinserted it. I was told that I needed to format the drive before I could use it. However, if I choose to format it I could lose everything on the disk.
Wow, sounds scary!!

I removed the thumb drive and then reinserted it. I was told that I needed to format the drive before I could use it. However, if I choose to format it I could lose everything on the disk.
Wow, sounds scary!!
I bit the bullet and chose to format and was told I could not. Here's what I was told:

WINDOWS CANNOT FORMAT F
CHECK TO SEE THAT THE DISK AND DRIVE ARE CONNECTED PROPERLY, MAKE SURE THE DISK IS NOT READ-ONLY THEN TRY AGAIN. FOR MORE INFORMATION, SEARCH HELP FOR READ-ONLY FILES AND HOW TO CHANGE THEM.

I think the reason it said that is because the windows system sees something different to itself and decides it doesn’t like it.....so it tells you to reformat (which will usually wipe the drive of anything that is on there.
Correct me if I am wrong.....the files that were on that USB were the Linux operating system (software)....yes?

When you first used this USB, what did you do to make it work?.....to make Linux come on the screen so that you could use it?

Members online