How to open .Exe files?

A

agoodwriter

Hello.

I'm having Xubuntu and i would like to know how i can open EXE files. Could you tell me this step-by-step, because i'm also new with linux.

Thank you for you help.

The only way to open an EXE file for useful purposes is to use WINE, which emulates a Windows environment for Linux.

Most distros, including Xubuntu, allow you to install Wine through their package manager. Just look through it for "wine" (Ubuntu's package for it can also be wine1.3).

.exe files are Windows OS executables which cannot be run in a Linux environment without an emulation tool like Wine.

To install, just type this into the terminal:

sudo apt-get install wine

or like the above person said look for it in the package manager.
Good luck!

Hey.

I have tried this method many times, i know that linux should open up exe files with wine, but it does not open them. I have xubuntu, should i install some other linux, then it might work right?

Any suggestion which one should i install?

Hey.

I have tried this method many times, i know that linux should open up exe files with wine, but it does not open them. I have xubuntu, should i install some other linux, then it might work right?

Any suggestion which one should i install?

I use Xubuntu and have Wine installed on my system. I rarely use it anymore as I have found many programs to replace Windows-based programs. However, if a program that you are clicking does not open in Wine, you could try the following:

1. Right click the program/file and click Properties
2. Go to the 'Permissions' tab and make sure that each drop down menu is set to 'Read & Write'
3. Check the box that states to make the file executable

Close the Properties window and try running the program once more. If the .exe file does not work, it could simply be that the program is not compatible with Wine or the version of Wine that you are using. Have you tried search for the file name (I assume it is a program) in the Wine Application Database? It offers ratings regarding how well programs work and with what Wine versions it will/will not work with.

I third, or fourth or whatever, agree with Wine. It is kinda temperamental sometimes, but it will open exes.