How to 'install' Waterfox on Linux Mint 18.3 Mate LiveCD?

Sigma333

Reaction score
Credits
So the deal is I use Linux Mint in LiveCD mode for online banking/shopping. I detest its default browser (Firefox), so the first thing I do is install Chromium, and then uninstall Firefox. Problem being I'm not a fan of Chromium either, and it does not work well with some sites, so I need Waterfox. It doesn't seem to be in the onboard offerings, so I'm trying to install via:

...but cannot seem to get it to finish the install process. It was easy to do on MX Linux, but Linux Mint is not being cooperative. Can someone walk me through the process step-by-step? By the way, I know a LiveCD has no persistence (which is why I use it), and I will have to 'install' Waterfox everytime.

So the deal is I use Linux Mint in LiveCD mode for online banking/shopping.

Very dangerous thing to do because you can't update Mint Live, so you're using a Live System that's out of date. :eek: and we all know what that means. :rolleyes:

I would not want to use an out of date System for online Banking or anything else for that matter, a Live Mint ISO and that includes 20.1 does not have an Update Manager so no security updates.

As we all know the Live ISO is for checking out the Distro, you can see all the features without installing it and you can use it to Restore a Timeshift Snapshot, you can also Boot to the Live ISO and Mount the HDD/SSD on your Computer or another Computer even Windoze. ;)

Last edited:
April 30 is the deadline for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and thus for Mint's 18 series (all 4 of them).

@Sigma333 are you actually using a DVD or a USB stick?

Wizard

I have answered my own question by looking at your other Thread on freezes.

I believe that you can make the answers to both academic by preparing to upgrade to a newer version of Mint.

At least 19, or preferably 20.

Regarding the input by @MatsuShimizu , the version type of Waterfox described there is Waterfox Classic, which is based on an older version of Firefox preceding the change to Quantum with v57.

It is OK to use, but there is another version based on current Firefox, using Appimage for the install.

I could explain some of this after you upgrade.

Wizard

Definitely do not use a LiveCD for online banking or anything else for that matter, you cannot get the latest security updates and therefore it is vulnerable - you would be better off using Tails

April 30 is the deadline for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and thus for Mint's 18 series (all 4 of them).

@Sigma333 are you actually using a DVD or a USB stick?

Wizard

DVD. Obviously some here use LiveCD mode for their own reasons. I use Linux Mint LiveCD for no persistence, same as with Kodachi and TAILS. I'd never use a flashdrive to run an OS.

So the deal is I use Linux Mint in LiveCD mode for online banking/shopping. I detest its default browser (Firefox), so the first thing I do is install Chromium, and then uninstall Firefox. Problem being I'm not a fan of Chromium either, and it does not work well with some sites, so I need Waterfox. It doesn't seem to be in the onboard offerings, so I'm trying to install via:

...but cannot seem to get it to finish the install process. It was easy to do on MX Linux, but Linux Mint is not being cooperative. Can someone walk me through the process step-by-step? By the way, I know a LiveCD has no persistence (which is why I use it), and I will have to 'install' Waterfox everytime.
You should not have to "install" it.
Just download the package or archive file - extract it - and look for and click on the Waterfox binary.

Yep. Works. Just tested it.
Extract and just click on the waterfox file within the extracted folder.
waterfox.png

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online