how to install linux mint 19 and replace windows without usb or dvd?

Are you still using the DVD-RW type disc if so that could be the issue.

Try the DVD in a different computer and see if it boots from the DVD and if it boots from the DVD than perhaps the other computers DVD rom may be bad.

The only other thing it may be is the boot order needs to be changed to boot from DVD.

I did the format like a usb drive used your method, and now the program is not reading the disc. am I doing anything wrong?

Well, we don't really know if you're doing it wrong or not... partly because none of us use DVD-RW disks, and we haven't yet convinced you to try DVD-R, DVD+R, or a USB drive instead. There are other problems that you can be having, and DVD-RW is just one.

Another possible problem is: formatting. If you formatted DVD-RW disk like USB, and if you used the "Write image" feature of your burner program... and if it still doesn't boot, then it may be that you needed to format your disk as CD/DVD instead, and "Write image" to it again. The "Write image" process must make the DVD bootable to install Linux.... maybe formatting as USB and as CD/DVD will both work, or maybe neither will work... we don't know.

Another possible problem is: completed download. We also do not know if you have a good download of the Linux Mint .iso file. If you are trying to burn an incomplete or corrupted file, it is just about guaranteed to fail. There are ways to test if you got a good download, but at the very least look at how big the .iso file is.... it should be in the neighborhood of 2 GB if it is Cinnamon or Mate editions. How big is your .iso file?

Do you want to download and install a free utility that can check the integrity of your download file, so you can be sure that it is usable? If yes, one that many of us recommend is this one: https://bhoover.com/how-to-verify-checksum-windows/. If you get this utility, tell us exactly which version of Linux Mint you downloaded, and we'll explain how to run the test.

Cheers

im back, I got a external hard drive and...…....
Screenshot (2).png

I used rufus on it so, I guess I just boot from usb. also do I have to make changes in the bios? its in an MBR partition I believe, is it supposed to be like that?

I used rufus on it so, I guess I just boot from usb. also do I have to make changes in the bios? its in an MBR partition I believe, is it supposed to be like that?
This photo looks like Mint is correctly laid out on the drive, although I am quite confused why there are a couple of "autorun" files in there. Autorun files are typically used in a Windows environment. Well, no matter about that for now.

I'm confused too about using Rufus to install to a hard drive. I don't think I've ever seen that done before, only to pen drives, and then the pen drive is used to install to a hard drive (or run in live mode). If Rufus thought your hard drive was a pen drive, you may not have full use of the drive.

But the proof is in the pudding. First question is: Does it boot?

Cheers

This photo looks like Mint is correctly laid out on the drive, although I am quite confused why there are a couple of "autorun" files in there. Autorun files are typically used in a Windows environment. Well, no matter about that for now.

I'm confused too about using Rufus to install to a hard drive. I don't think I've ever seen that done before, only to pen drives, and then the pen drive is used to install to a hard drive (or run in live mode). If Rufus thought your hard drive was a pen drive, you may not have full use of the drive.

But the proof is in the pudding. First question is: Does it boot?

Cheers
it booted into linux mint finally, but when i tried installing it, it said something about uefi, and i guess windows in in legacy, ill try something out.

I'm back in a work cycle now (12-hr shifts) so I only have limited time. But others may jump in to help guide you along too.

So, you've got Mint booting on your USB now... great! Is it still your plan to erase Windows 10 and go Linux-only with your computer? Are you hung up on anything now? When you said, "it said something about uefi"... we will need to really know exactly what it said. Please take notes (or screenshots) so we can better help decipher any errors you are getting.

Linux Mint is perfectly capable of using UEFI, and most of the time it can work with Secure Boot also. But sometimes Secure Boot can still cause problems. You may need to experiment with different BIOS settings regarding UEFI, Secure Boot, Fast Boot, and maybe others (like TPM), in order to finally get Mint to cooperate and install. But it WILL install. Sooner or later you will win this battle! :)

As others already mentioned in this thread, if you want to erase Windows, you will tell Mint to "use entire disk" when you get to that stage of the setup. There are only a handful of screens that need you to make choices, but you need to read them all carefully. If you run across options to "use LVM" or "encrypt home folder".... I would discourage those options for new users.

And if the installation does not go as planned, you can always start over and install it again. The practice is actually good for you. :eek::D

Cheers

Members online

Latest posts