how to install linux mint 19 and replace windows without usb or dvd?

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

I have combined the two Threads and deleted the newer one.

Tom & TJ may wish to edit your Posts, or not, your call.

Thanks all

Wizard

Good Morning Mr Mushroom,

Were you able to boot from your DVD you created.

well, i pressed the option to treat it like a computer, but its taking a really long time to format the disk, its still on 0 bytes. i think my optical drive is slow or something. any workarounds?
UPDATE: i gotten another dvd, so its showing up the space now, i hope this works!
update again, its still taking forever

Last edited:
When you booted from the DVD did this screen appear and if not then something is not right.

Once this screen displays than you should tick the install Linux Mint icon and away she goes just follow the prompts.

Follow these instructions and let the installation partition the drive.

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html

Chose this option.
Erase disk and install Linux Mint

Last edited by a moderator:
im not on that, im saying that its taking a really long time to format the dang disc, it keeps saying windows was unable to complete the format. what do i do??

Widows shouldn't have to do anything but run infrarecorder.

Did you create a bootable Linux DVD using infrarecorder.

It sounds to me like you haven't created a bootable DVD using infrarecorder.

What you need to do is to create a bootable DVD using infrarecorder and then boot from that as per instructions I posted in post #25.

Widows shouldn't have to do anything but run infrarecorder.

Did you create a bootable Linux DVD using infrarecorder.

It sounds to me like you haven't created a bootable DVD using infrarecorder.

What you need to do is to create a bootable DVD using infrarecorder and then boot from that as per instructions I posted in post #25.
i was doing that, still didnt boot
so ima try imgburn

Your screenshot in #16 looks like you are using a DVD-RW, and I'm guessing that is what you are trying to format. I think this may be your trouble, and I'd recommend burning the .iso file to a regular DVD... a DVD-R or DVD+R instead.

Be sure to "burn image" and not just write the DVD. It must be "burn image" (sometimes "write image") or else it will not be bootable.

Cheers

Your screenshot in #16 looks like you are using a DVD-RW, and I'm guessing that is what you are trying to format. I think this may be your trouble, and I'd recommend burning the .iso file to a regular DVD... a DVD-R or DVD+R instead.

Be sure to "burn image" and not just write the DVD. It must be "burn image" (sometimes "write image") or else it will not be bootable.

Cheers
Good catch there atanere I sure didn't catch that with my old eyes.
I've also had problems using DVD-RW discs so that may very well be the problem.

Hey Mr Mushroom,

Keep at it I know it's frustrating :mad: but you will get it. :)

Good catch there atanere I sure didn't catch that with my old eyes.
I've also had problems using DVD-RW discs so that may very well be the problem.

Hey Mr Mushroom,

ima just get a usb and get rufus, since im gonna have a mental breakdown if i keep trying

I totally agree with @poorguy here! Stick with it (and us), if you can. We have all had ups and downs in the learning process, but the very beginning is the toughest of all. Lots of people have trouble using Rufus or other USB tools too... you don't know until you give it a go and see what happens. But many folks here will try to help talk you through it, USB or DVD, to try to get you on the path to booting and installing Linux. @Eugor's suggestion is also a great idea... the prices are extremely reasonable, and you know you are getting a quality installation media.

Mastering the downloading and installation of .iso files is a skill well worth the effort though. You may not like your first Linux choice, or you may be curious about some of the others. There are literally many dozens of excellent distros available, and you don't have to make a lifelong commitment to just one. :D

Cheers

Hey Mr Mushroom,

We've all had the same problems creating bootable media when we first started and it is frustrating and irritating.

Take a few days break and then give it another try.

Smoke a joint and have a beer. ;)

let us know when you have the usb

alright im back, and nope I don't have the usb yet,
so whats the problem with DVD-RW discs?
also was I supposed to press this,
or the first one? because the first one takes a really long time.

2019-05-04.png

another thing I have some application called easy bcd

Last edited:
so whats the problem with DVD-RW discs?
That's a good question, and I can't really find a good answer on the web (all questions seem to go to how to burn a dvd). But for whatever reason I have a long held belief that DVD-RW can give problems, and that DVD-R or DVD+R are better choices. If nothing else, they are usually cheaper than DVD-RW.

another thing I have some application called easy bcd
Easy BCD is a boot manager that some people find helpful. It should not be necessary though if everything (Windows and Linux) are installed correctly. It won't help you burn your DVD, and it won't help you to install Linux... it only helps to choose which one boots.

alright, so I had to use another computer to format the disc like a usb,
and it worked.
so, I guess I use the iso burner or what?

alright, so I had to use another computer to format the disc like a usb,
and it worked.
so, I guess I use the iso burner or what?
Go back to post #6 and look at it.

You have to create a Bootable DVD and make certain to Write Image and Not Copy Disc .

Go back to post #6 and look at it.

You have to create a Bootable DVD and make certain to Write Image and Not Copy Disc .
alright having problems again, I did the format like a usb drive used your method, and now the program is not reading the disc. am I doing anything wrong?

Members online

Latest posts