How To Install and Use Virtualbox.

bob466

Reaction score
Credits
There are many people who have so much trouble with Virtualbox ,:eek: it's really not hard. I've been using it for years, I've found the best way to learn is by watching videos from people who know what their doing.
m0103.gif

Here are a few videos from a guy who makes it so easy to understand, the videos are old but good.
m1211.gif

The other day I installed in Virtualbox 6.0...Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 and Linux Lite 5.4.

All have both Guest Additions CD and Extension Pack installed, I also have a Shared Folder and Drag and Drop too. I'm no expert, I'm an average user...so if I can use Virtualbox as shown above, anyone else can too...hope this helps.
m19012.gif

I see you set the video memory to 128, you can make it up to 256:
1. Select a VM, i.e. linux lite 5.4, and click on Settings.
2. Select Display, and move the Monitor Count slider up to 8
3. Click on Ok/Save, the window/dialog will close.
4. Select the VM again, and click on Settings
5. Go to Display tab, now you'll notice that there's the option to move the slider beyond 128, so make it 256.
6. Move the Monitor Count slider back to 1, and click on Ok/Save.
That's it. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I have my win 7 VM set at 256. The other two I installed just for fun and will delete Cinnamon 20.2 as it looks much like 20.1 I have installed on a spare SSD.
m01101.gif

G'day Sam :)

I'll take a look through those vids next couple of days, and if they look as good as you say, we might pin this Thread, because it could be very useful to those who ask us questions, to refer them to.

Thanks for sharing

Wiz

If it helps someone, especially those new to Linux...great.
happy0009.gif

One feature I forgot is Import, Export...I haven't installed my win 7 VM for years. I just Export my VM to an External HDD, then Import it back into the clean Install.
happy0034.gif

Last but not least because Cinnamon is resource hungry, it has problems running in Virtualbox...even with video memory set at 256, and with 6GB of Ram...I might try Mate. :)

Last but not least because Cinnamon is resource hungry, it has problems running in Virtualbox...even with video memory set at 256, and with 6GB of Ram...I might try Mate.
Try with QEMU, I've noticed Linux distros perform much better than in VBox. I have all my Linux VMs under QEMU, and have only VBox for a Windows VM, yeah, QEMU doesn't seem to like it, who can blame it? lol

Try with QEMU, I've noticed Linux distros perform much better than in VBox. I have all my Linux VMs under QEMU, and have only VBox for a Windows VM, yeah, QEMU doesn't seem to like it, who can blame it? lol

^ I agree with this, my experience with QEMU is better than virtualbox, but virtualbox works good as well.

Actually, I am also running Windows in QEMU, no issues on my side after installing the virtio drivers.

I have no problems running Windows in a vm under QEMU/KVM.

I have no problems running Windows in a vm under QEMU/KVM.
Well, my experience has been quite the opposite so far; Windows gets installed and upon reboot I get a blue screen and some error, I think it has something to do with graphics drivers, but haven't really bothered to investigate and find a fix/workaround for that, I just take the easy route and install VBox. On the other hand, Linux distros just install and work perfect; fast and quite performant.
Actually, I am also running Windows in QEMU, no issues on my side after installing the virtio drivers.
That's probably what I need to do, in fact, I kind of remember reading something about it, but didn't try.

Also, not 100% sure, will need to try and verify this, but I think using the default display sdl works, but Windows performs very, very slow.

That's probably what I need to do, in fact, I kind of remember reading something about it, but didn't try.

Also, not 100% sure, will need to try and verify this, but I think using the default display sdl works, but Windows performs very, very slow.

Just to clarify a bit. I am using VirtIO bus type for the Windows 10 VM.

When booting up a Windows ISO to install the OS, you wont be able to see the disk, you'd need to load the VirtIO drivers so that the disk can be recognized since you're using the VirtIO bus. After you load the drivers, the disk is detected and you can install the OS. Once Windows is installed, you'll notice in device manager that some drivers are missing, you just load the virtio ISO into the VM, and point each device to it. The devices will detect the drivers and install.

After a reboot of the VM, Windows runs really smooth.

Thank you both for sharing that. Will try and see how that goes. :)

I installed Linux Mint Mate 20.2 in Virtualbox yesterday and it seems to run fine, but when I set video memory to 256 before I installed the ISO I got an error and it wouldn't install.
confused0020.gif

So I set it back to 128 and installation when without any trouble.
happy0039.gif
Many people struggle with Virtualbox but it's not very hard, I would imagine the average windwoes user has never used Virtualbox...then they try to install a Linux Distro.
scared0010.gif

If people have so much trouble with Virtualbox, then they'd be suicidal trying to figure out how to use QEMU.
evilgrin0036.gif

but when I set video memory to 256 before I installed the ISO I got an error and it wouldn't install.
Yeah, you can't do it before install, you have to install the OS, then increase the video memory.

I changed the video memory after I install a Distro. :)

Over the past week I've installed and deleted 6 Distros, so it's not hard but I couldn't believe my eyes when I installed Linux Peppermint.
sick0025.gif

Peppermint uses microsuck office
sick0020.gif
when you click on it, it takes you to a microsuck web site to create an account...Ha Ha Ha...I'm not that stupid.
mad0061.gif

The whole point of switching to Linux is to escape the evil empire to freedom, so why the hell would anyone want that.
anim_61.gif

Damn !!!.....are you sure ??!!....was that THIS Peppermint ?

Yes Peppermint 10, latest version
mad0105.gif
of cause I didn't create an account but when I dragged a document from my Mint Cinnamon Desktop, I got an error saying..."unknown file type" WTF !!!!
confused0003.gif

I had to Install Libre Office to get my document to open...Peppermint doesn't have an Office suite installed by default...what a bloody joke.
mad0034.gif

Members online

Latest posts