how to instal linux on mint laptop!??????

Hi! I don't know if I should open a new thread, because I had the very same problem (that's how I found this thread and forum in the first place) but the OP abandoned this for W8, which I would rather not do. I also have an Acer, but the Acer Travelmate b115-m-41rq. I bought it in Germany, and it said "without OS" but came with Linpus instead : /

For Linpus, I get the same screens as the OP. No GUI will load.

I made a USB to boot Mint from, trying different software (unebootin, liveusbcreator and universalusbinstaller) to see if I was making the live usb wrongly, but neither of them worked. Every time the usb _will be recognized_ as a booting device, the menu will show up (options: Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit or the same in compatibility mode or "check the compatibility of the medium"), but as soon as I select to any of the options (I tried all), the screen will turn black and nothing will happen. I tried waiting for half an hour, but still nothing happened.

I also tried to follow this instructions [community linuxmint com / tutorial / view / 842] and use the nomodeset option since I can't find the specifications of my graphics software, but that didn't help either.

I tried to make a usb with DBAN to try and get rid of Linpus to begin with, and try to boot with Mint directly from the usb, but then the usb won't be recognized and DBAN won't load, leading straight to Linpus, the same dead end I began with.

What should I try next? I expected to get this laptop running today to start working with it tomorrow, but I just can't seem toget it to work.

[EDIT: I'm very new to linux, and I created this account here explicitly to ask this question. Since I'm new to the forum, I can't paste links properly. Sorry for that]

[EDIT2: I found out that the Linpus version I have pre-installed has no GUI; still, I can't get it to do anything regarding the instalation of Mint, nor has the status of the other behaviours changed]

Last edited:
Could you please mention the configuration to your Acer laptop.

Hello,
Guys I have the same problem like the guy that started that topic. Can you help me? I want to use Ubuntu but I don't know even how to tell the machine to boot from a USB. The laptop is Acer with 8GB RAM. I don't know if you need any other specifications to help me.

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem. I bought an Acer Travelmate b113 with linpus pre installed. Booting never worked because of some error of which i didn't pay too much attention to because i read terrible reviews for linpus and wanted to install mint anyway. I successfully created a mint boot disk and am able to boot into mint. I went through the install process a few times.. first while creating LVM volume, which failed at some point during the install, and then trying erase disk and install mint, each time receiving errors which i should have noted but forgot to.

Anyway, im now left with three partitions.. or more.

/dev/sda 1 - linpus 512mb --- boot
/dev/sda 2- ext 2 244mb
/dev/sda 3 lvm2 pv mint -vg 297 GIB

When i reboot without the usb disk the message is an error like "no media found" and goes into a boot loop. I can successfully reboot with the usb back into mint but that's not the ultimate goal here.

I also think this is a problem has to do with the setup when going through setup while selecting "erase all data" it wont allow me to delete the partition with EFI or boot.

the message reads

"the following partitions are going to be formatted"
Partition #1 as efiboot
Partition #2 as ext4
Partition #3 as swap

This is my first run at linux so please excuse the ignorance but I'm a pretty quick learner for those who are willing to help.

And to avoid the obvious, yes at some point i did go back into the bios and selected HDD as the first boot option.

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem. I bought an Acer Travelmate b113 with linpus pre installed. Booting never worked because of some error of which i didn't pay too much attention to because i read terrible reviews for linpus and wanted to install mint anyway. I successfully created a mint boot disk and am able to boot into mint. I went through the install process a few times.. first while creating LVM volume, which failed at some point during the install, and then trying erase disk and install mint, each time receiving errors which i should have noted but forgot to.

Anyway, im now left with three partitions.. or more.

/dev/sda 1 - linpus 512mb --- boot
/dev/sda 2- ext 2 244mb
/dev/sda 3 lvm2 pv mint -vg 297 GIB

When i reboot without the usb disk the message is an error like "no media found" and goes into a boot loop. I can successfully reboot with the usb back into mint but that's not the ultimate goal here.

I also think this is a problem has to do with the setup when going through setup while selecting "erase all data" it wont allow me to delete the partition with EFI or boot.

the message reads

"the following partitions are going to be formatted"
Partition #1 as efiboot
Partition #2 as ext4
Partition #3 as swap

This is my first run at linux so please excuse the ignorance but I'm a pretty quick learner for those who are willing to help.

And to avoid the obvious, yes at some point i did go back into the bios and selected HDD as the first boot option.

You can get more and better answers by asking in a new thread in the forums.

Members online