How to hibernate Linux To Go to disk and restore it on a different device?

Shinomine Fu

Reaction score
Credits
I have my Linux installed on a portable SSD, so I can switch devices (laptop at home, desktop in office) easily and don't need to consider any syncronization problems. This is called Linux To Go.

It's quite nice already, but could it be even better?

To switch devices during a work flow, I must exit all applications (gracefully), shutdown the OS completely, then detach and attach the SSD, boot the OS, wait for its powering-up, and last, reopen all the applications needed to resume my work.

Now I want to find a way to achieve "pause and resume" instead of such "stop and restart". I want the OS memory to persist across different devices.

It seems like hibernation is a potential solution. Maybe I could save the memory in a swap partition by hibernating the OS, then detach and attach the SSD, boot the OS, and shortly, the memory is restored so I can continue my work flow.

But after some googling, I can't find any tutorial/blogs about hibernation across multiple devices.

How to hibernate Linux To Go to disk and restore it on a different device? Or, is it simply impossible?

My untested guess is that it wouldn't work, because there are a lot of hardware-specific processes, settings and addresses running, that would be stored in the suspend and suddenly throw errors upon wake.

Members online