[how to] Have bold fonts in Firefox

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
In some very old versions of Firefox (back when FF used to have a status bar) it was possible to set any bold font as standard. Nowadays there's no option for that and if you open the settings of the browser, it only shows the default names of the fonts but not their formatting editions. Meaning that you will see names like Noto Sans, Open Sans and so on, but you won't see Noto Sans Bold or Open Sans Bold - despite that you may have them installed in your system.
And for a long time I put up with that but not anymore. Today I decided to find a way to bring back the bold fonts in my browser and I finally found a simple working way. The best part is that you don't need any extensions for that. All you need to do is to open "about:config" and search for these lines:

Code:
font.name.sans-serif.x-cyrillic
font.name.sans-serif.x-western
font.name.serif.x-cyrillic
font.name.serif.x-western

Then double click each like and type the font you want and include its formatting that you want. For instance, I LOVE the Open Sans SemiBold font, so that's what I've set in all of these 4 lines.

KhoauI6.png

Now thanks to this setting all the regular text in this and other forums appears as SemiBold:

9c1XrIc.png

Also, note that if you go back to the settings tab, after you've set a bold font, it will read "Default (Noto Sans)" but that shouldn't bother you. I suspect the browser displays this because it wasn't instructed to search for and display bold fonts, so it displays whatever it can. But that doesn't matter, since you've already set a bold font in about:config and that's what you're gonna see from now on.

Members online