How to get Linux 4.18 Installed

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
How do I get Linux 4.18 installed, I already have the files downloaded, how do I install them?
Screenshot from 2018-08-13 12-31-15.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-13 12-39-05.png

apt install linux-image-4.4.0-53-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-53-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-53-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-53

kernel names/numbers will be different than yours. Just change them to match your kernel version & number.

Source

PLEASE TELL ME FIRST...THAT YOU HAVE TIMESHIFT INSTALLED AND YOU HAVE SNAPSHOTS AVAILABLE TO USE WHEN YOU INEVITABLY STUFF SOMETHING UP...

and....google does not work/respond on your pc ?.......you may wish to rectify that.

Is your PC still stable ?.....any downside ?

Hi Eddie Paul, thanks for sharing that link on updating. :)

I would like to take this opportunity to remind you of a couple of things the article recommended.

Linux distributions are responsible for your system’s stability and this is why they don’t release a newer version of Linux Kernel unless they test it for regression on their end. This ensures that your system is not messed up because of hardware incompatibility or any other such issue.

In my opinion, there is no ‘real’ need of upgrading to a newer Linux kernel unless it provides you a good enough reason.

and

For example, I use Dell XPS 13 Kaby Lake Ubuntu Edition and I read that kernel 4.10 will provide a performance boost for Kaby Lake processor. This tempted me to upgrade Ubuntu to latest Linux Kernel but Ubuntu won’t be providing this kernel version anytime soon if it ever does. In such a situation, I could choose to upgrade Linux kernel manually.

Are you in such a situation?

Warning: Before we see how to upgrade Linux kernel in Ubuntu with Ukuu, I must warn you that you should be aware of the risk. If something goes wrong, you may revert to a previous Kernel version but you must not panic. Make a backup of Ubuntu system to be sure. If you are easily baffled with troubleshooting, avoid playing with manual upgrades and stick to your distribution’s system updates.

Did you make a backup?

Code:
GUI tool called Ukuu (Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility).

This GUI tool is developed by Tony George who has provided us with several other useful tools for Ubuntu such as battery monitor for Ubuntu, app backup tool Aptik etc.

Tony George is also the author of Timeshift, which @Condobloke mentioned earlier.

Now that you have Tony's PPA in your system, you should use it to install Timeshift.

Code:
sudo apt-get install timeshift

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts