How to extend /root and /home partition?

Adithyansm

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys wishing you all a good day,
I have a friend who installed Linux a couple of months ago (I think it is Mint cinnamon *guess so*) but he is running out of low space in both his /root and /home partition.
So yesterday he contacted me and said he want to increase space. I said that's not a good option because you can harm your Linux installation and told him that I will check on that
I haven't done it myself because I have plenty of space in my installation

So the question is :
Is it possible to extend the root and home partition safely?
If yes is there a GUI method to do that because he lives far and I can't physically help him if there is only a CLI method then I want to travel that far to help him
. If the GUI method he can do stuff himself and I can give him instructions over the phone

gparted if no windows on drive. If windows on drive and want to preserve, use windows to first shrink C:\ drive to minimum, then use gparted to make or resize linux partition.

gparted if no windows on drive. If windows on drive and want to preserve, use windows to first shrink C:\ drive to minimum, then use gparted to make or resize linux partition.
Simply like that! is there any risk in resizing active partition

I suppose there is always a risk -- this is why we are warned always to make backups of data we don't want to lose -- but if sanely used, I personally have had no problem doing so with gparted and nothing else running nor connected online. Do not interrupt the process, once begun.

The only real trouble with partitioning was trying to install Slackware on a hdd that still had traces of windows ntfs file system on it -- but this was years ago -- M$ has since changed ntfs, I hear. (Probably had to once they started dabbling in Linux -- another story)

I use LiveCD, boot to it, and run it from RAM. Same can be done with a LiveUSB.

Editing partitions has the potential to cause LOSS of DATA.

The gparted application is designed to enable you to edit partitions while reducing the risk of data loss. The application is carefully tested and is used by the GParted project team. However, loss of data might occur due to software bugs, hardware problems, or power failure.

You can help to reduce the risk of data loss by not mounting or unmounting partitions outside of the gparted application while gparted is running.

You are advised to BACKUP your DATA before using the gparted application. This is especially true for encrypted data where all of the data can become permanently inaccessible after a failure. Please refer to The Cryptsetup FAQ for backup and recovery advice of encrypted data.

The above is taken form the GParted manual

Open gparted, and select Help...then Contents

READ IT

Any non desirable results from using Gparted are Permanent.

Good for newbies, but some of us have to learn the hard way. It stays in the memory, then!
If one is afraid to make mistakes, I ask why are you using Linux, then? We get good but never perfect!

If one is afraid to make mistakes,
My friend is still a newbie and he thinks if we play with the terminal it will screw things up
He only uses his terminal for updating the system

This is the reason why always use lvm in my setups.

Good for newbies, but some of us have to learn the hard way. It stays in the memory, then!
If one is afraid to make mistakes, I ask why are you using Linux, then? We get good but never perfect!

I, as a newcomer, appreciated it. As much as I don't want to make mistakes, it's still scaryo_O, I don't want to seem hopeless.

@tiyaalford
welcome to the forums,
Some of us have been using Linux for 20 yrs or more, and yes we still make mistakes, if we didn't, we would not be human, besides it's the way we all learn by the "break it and fix it" method. We were all newbies once, and had to go through the learning curve [although it's easier now]
So, Grab a beer, sit back, kick off your shoes, and enjoy the ride

welcome to the forums,
Some of us have been using Linux for 20 yrs or more, and yes we still make mistakes, if we didn't, we would not be human, besides it's the way we all learn by the "break it and fix it" method. We were all newbies once, and had to go through the learning curve [although it's easier now]
So, Grab a beer, sit back, kick off your shoes, and enjoy the ride
That sounds very encouraging, I'm glad to hear it. Going for a beer;)

Members online