How to download DVD backup files into the new 21.1 Vera OS ?

atrip36

Reaction score
Credits
Installed 21.1 Vera Mate OS to replace the soon to be unsupported previous LM OS, everything is working great. I did not opt to keep both OS's going side by side, everything previous is gone. Burned a couple of DVD's to transfer files into Vera after the upgrade.

This is as far as I can get on trying to download the DVD contents. It's Identified as a BRF file. I think it's there because this is what is said to be its contents, 103 MB (103,120,896 bytes), not a big file.

This is what I get when trying to view it in the Image Viewer

No images found in 'file:///media/monte/Data disc (05 Jan 23)'.

Any input appreciated!

Hmm... .brf is 'Braille ready format'?

Also, this is why you verify your backup. An unverified backup is not a backup at all.

I never heard of it.

For whatever it's worth, I just downloaded on the old OS, Linux Brasero to burn DVD's to do all of this. To perform the successful installation of Vera. So that DVD came out fine obviously. It's a Brasero thing, don't know?

I don't think Brasero has anything like its own file formats. It should have just copied your files?

In the future, verify the files were written. Don't trust the application to self-report - verify it yourself.

It's been a long time since I used DVDs to transfer anything to a clean install...you should use either a Flash Drive or an External HDD/SSD as these are very reliable not to mention can hold much more than a DVD.
m1213.gif

Whatever has happened to your DVDs is most likely not fixable...if they were good you could open the DVDs on the Desktop and copy the files but that's not the case.
m1511.gif

Luckily I have most of my photos on old back up discs. I downloaded these minutes ago and I now see how it's supposed to work. Gotta say, I'm very impressed with Vera, I'm having none of the problems I had with the 19.1 installation, or whatever it was. I got careless with my last file backups using Brasero which I never used before. Yes, I usually check discs but not this time, live and learn!

The only thing I can think of was when I used Brasero, I must have chosen a bad format for my needs, and I ended up with the BRF files. Not a disaster but definitely an inconvenience.

Last edited:
The problem with flash drives is that once they go bad, everything on them is gone. After you (sucessfully) verified an optical disc backup, it stays until you either destroy it or don't care about the contents any longer anyway. You also don't need to power up the disc peridocially for it to not forget your data...

Members online

Latest posts