How to convert an NTFS drive to a ext4 drive and mount

tieuluu

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,
I am a newbie to Linux! I recently converted my windows system to Linuxmint.
I have 3 TB hard disk previously formatted in NTFS. I want to convert the
hard disk to ext4. I got up to the stage of partitioning and formatting but I can't seemed
to mount it so I can use it in Linux. I can't seemed to find good documentation on the net.
Can anyone help, please?
Thank yo.
Soon

Well done tieuluu

And...Welcome to Linux.org !!

Did you actually convert it to EXT4 or just mount it as NTFS? Linux can use NTFS in a limited manner, which is why I'm asking. It's pretty easy to convert with gparted or gnome-disks.

Did you actually convert it to EXT4 or just mount it as NTFS? Linux can use NTFS in a limited manner, which is why I'm asking. It's pretty easy to convert with gparted or gnome-disks.
I copied everything off it to another drive, and reformated it to ext4, mounted it and copied all my stuff back. I think this is right?

Yep, should work for you. You should now be on Ext4 partitioning.

I copied everything off it to another drive, and reformated it to ext4, mounted it and copied all my stuff back. I think this is right?

Perfect!

tick.jpeg

I'm also a Noob. built a new rig with 4 drives. 1 is for win10. others available for my FlightSim/Scenery.
Should I keep NTFS or go with a file system that I can use in both OSes (linux nobara, Win10). I'll be sharing scenery files if that matters.

@majorquattronut welcome to linux.org

I suggest you start your own thread as this one has not been used for 20 months and it will be less confusing if you do so.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Latest posts