How to connect dial-up in Mint 20.2

Help!!! I've been reading and I will keep it up. Downloaded lots to read and watch on hispeed yesterday, yet I've got problems. Firstly I can't exit wvdial. I've tried 'Ctrl x' 'exit' 'quit' 'ctrl q' 'ctrl o' then 'ctrl x'. Nothing works. I may have messed things up in my original successful connection because I didn't know you were suppose to exit properly. Anywho the modem was messed up and finally got it orking with the HP windows machine after a restart with it plugged in. Thank goodness the HP works.
I've been trying to get a front end GUI to use instead of terminal for a connect. I thought I did download gtkppp and when I tried to run it with sudo install gtkppp and got the message 'missing destination file operand after 'gtkppp'. So I tried adding ~ and it said can't find package.
Next hispeed I'll try screenshot upload. Intend Monday drive an hour back to town.

In looking for remedies I see at /etc/ppp/options one section only speaking of modem. Sorry I'm at 24k today and can't upload image. It says:
Run the executable or shell command specified after pppd has terminated the link. This script could, for example, issue commands to the modem to cause it to hang up if hardware modem control signals were not available.
disconnect "chat -- \d++\d\c ok ath0 ok"
Hash marks [#] preceed each line. Does that give an inkling of potential cures? My biggest issue is exiting wvdial as I'm afraid to hook up the dell if I can't exit properly. Would 'kill' work. I know ctrl x is suppose to exit. So should I uninstall and reinstall wvdial? Is it broken??
Thanks for your attention.

Sorry I'm at 24k today and can't upload image.
It is better NOT to upload an image to show us text anyway (and easier on your modem). Copy the text you want to show, and paste it inside of "code tags" like this:

[CODE] (Paste your text here) [/CODE]

Or, even easier... when you are replying, look at the "three dots" menu option at the top of the reply window, next to the smiley face. "Code" will generate the tags I've showed above, and you only need to paste your text into the window it provides. By doing this, the helpers here can copy/paste your "code" into a search engine to help find your solution... but they can't copy from an image and have to manually type your clues.

If you want to show a TON OF TEXT, use the "Spoiler" option in the "three dot menu" so it will be contained inside a Spoiler button... making a much cleaner post for the readers. You can give the Spoiler button a name for helpful clarity. You can post "code" inside of "spoilers" too.

I know ctrl x is suppose to exit.
I think you're mistaken. These links (here, here, and here) all say that CTRL C is the proper exit command for wvdial. (That is called "inline code" to put CTRL C inside the small box like that, also available in the three dot menu.) CTRL C and CTRL Q are the most common shortcuts to terminate Linux programs, I think, but they're not the only ones.

Make Google (or Startpage, or Duck Duck Go) your friend... your best friend. Those 3 links above were the first to appear for me in Startpage asking, "How to exit wvdial". We have some very smart people here, but the internet has even more. It seems that those of us here haven't used dialup in 15-20 years or so, but some of those folks on the internet will have more recent experience.

I don't envy your struggle, @Vicktoria... trying to do anything on the modern internet at dialup speeds seems to be a near-impossible task. I used to live in a rural area, and I know this struggle first hand. I don't think I would do it today. Good luck to you!

In looking for remedies I see at /etc/ppp/options one section only speaking of modem. Sorry I'm at 24k today and can't upload image. It says:
Run the executable or shell command specified after pppd has terminated the link. This script could, for example, issue commands to the modem to cause it to hang up if hardware modem control signals were not available.
disconnect "chat -- \d++\d\c ok ath0 ok"
Hash marks [#] preceed each line. Does that give an inkling of potential cures? My biggest issue is exiting wvdial as I'm afraid to hook up the dell if I can't exit properly. Would 'kill' work. I know ctrl x is suppose to exit. So should I uninstall and reinstall wvdial? Is it broken??
Thanks for your attention.
It is better NOT to upload an image to show us text anyway (and easier on your modem). Copy the text you want to show, and paste it inside of "code tags" like this:

[CODE] (Paste your text here) [/CODE]

Or, even easier... when you are replying, look at the "three dots" menu option at the top of the reply window, next to the smiley face. "Code" will generate the tags I've showed above, and you only need to paste your text into the window it provides. By doing this, the helpers here can copy/paste your "code" into a search engine to help find your solution... but they can't copy from an image and have to manually type your clues.

If you want to show a TON OF TEXT, use the "Spoiler" option in the "three dot menu" so it will be contained inside a Spoiler button... making a much cleaner post for the readers. You can give the Spoiler button a name for helpful clarity. You can post "code" inside of "spoilers" too.

I think you're mistaken. These links (here, here, and here) all say that CTRL C is the proper exit command for wvdial. (That is called "inline code" to put CTRL C inside the small box like that, also available in the three dot menu.) CTRL C and CTRL Q are the most common shortcuts to terminate Linux programs, I think, but they're not the only ones.

Make Google (or Startpage, or Duck Duck Go) your friend... your best friend. Those 3 links above were the first to appear for me in Startpage asking, "How to exit wvdial". We have some very smart people here, but the internet has even more. It seems that those of us here haven't used dialup in 15-20 years or so, but some of those folks on the internet will have more recent experience.

I don't envy your struggle, @Vicktoria... trying to do anything on the modern internet at dialup speeds seems to be a near-impossible task. I used to live in a rural area, and I know this struggle first hand. I don't think I would do it today. Good luck to you!
I tried for an hour to get the respond or post box to allow access last night on this Dell on dialup from home last night...although Thunderbird picked up mail and I got to the Forum I couldn't upload.
So I thank you for this very helpful instruction. I'll use it starting today, as I continue to try to get this machine running smoothly.
I believe I read in the wvdial man pgs. that ctrl x was to exit, and then I read in Penguin or somewhere it was ctrl C which has been working...thanks for guidance.

I have to put in an image for this first request for help cause I'm not at home with dailup.
The question is Does anyone see how this configuration may be perfected so that maybe it will connect at a reasonable speed. This is the screen for dailup:
wvdial connect 2021-09-19 22-19-37.png

also
Code:
~$ egrep -v '#|^ *$' /etc/ppp/options
asyncmap 0
auth
crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx
GNU PPP Config utility: Is that last line correct? Never say .bak before
Code:
                                                      │
│                        provider mail.copper.net                              │
│                        Copper.net                                            │
│                        provider mail.copper.net.bak

As far as I know my ISP uses PAP yet the GNUPPP has this under ppp options:

Code:
# Run the executable or shell command specified after pppd has
# terminated the link.  This script could, for example, issue commands
# to the modem to cause it to hang up if hardware modem control signals
# were not available.
#disconnect "chat -- \d+++\d\c OK ath0 OK"

# Don't use the modem control lines.
#local

# Don't show the passwords when logging the contents of PAP packets.
# This is the default.
hide-password

# When logging the contents of PAP packets, this option causes pppd to
# show the password string in the log message.
#show-password

# Use the modem control lines.  On Ultrix, this option implies hardware
# flow control, as for the crtscts option.  (This option is not fully
# implemented.)
modem

# Use the system password database for authenticating the peer using
# PAP. Note: mgetty already provides this option. If this is specified
# then dialin from users using a script under Linux to fire up ppp wont work.
# login

There are many more items in that option doc, those were the main ones that made me wonder if something needed tweaked. Please let me know what and how to provide any info that may help in getting this dailup connection to a useabel state. Thanks.

Ok guys, I understand that a ppp gui is no longer available in Mint or Ubuntu, therefore no libraries. I do have tar.gz files for a couple kppp, and gtkppp I believe. I really like Cinnamon Uma 20.2 except for this glitch with dialup, so far. I don't want to change, I'd rather work this connection issue. I am connecting, it is just so unbelievably slow...and I'm used to slow at 28k max. It must be either a ppp issue perhaps evident in options. The wvdial [is package the correct term?] seems pretty straight forward and is properly configured. My only question is should I add 'stupid mode' to the config file?
So that leaves me thinking it is the option.pptp file or some other gnuppp file accessed from terminal.

My question is can someone look at the info uploaded above to see if they can see the issue, or point me in the direction to research how to make sure the ppp is configured properly...or give another way of approaching this. I know I have a couple of tar.gz files if I could get to the supporting libraries. As always, I greatly appreciate all of your efforts and thoughts.

This article may point in the right direction. Hope it's helpful.

Dang frustration continues. I'm trying to post a new thread yet can't find area. Maybe it was the article you recommended kc1di, no it wasn't...I just checked it. I'll find it and let you know...it was good. Showed the proper 'ppp options conf' file, which jived with mine, except the author said 'if your ISP uses PAP add these lines' I found the title at Yolinux.com PPP How To [http://tldp.yolinux.com/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO.html] chapters 15 & 16. I compared my readout with his, which is posted above. My question is: If I make the changes he suggested to the 'ppp options file' can I undo it without causing more issues? I just successfully installed virtual box and got my astrology program to work properly, and now when I try to minimize a window the program closes...grrr. I'm trying to post a new thread. Back on topic he said add this code
Code:
#
# force pppd to use your ISP user name as your 'host name' during the
# authentication process
name <your ISP user name>    # you need to edit this line
#
# If you are running a PPP *server* and need to force PAP or CHAP
# uncomment the appropriate one of the following lines. Do NOT use
# these is you are a client connecting to a PPP server (even if it uses PAP
# or CHAP) as this tells the SERVER to authenticate itself to your
# machine (which almost certainly can't do - and the link will fail).
#+chap
#+pap
#
# If you are using ENCRYPTED secrets in the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
# file, then uncomment the following line.
# Note: this is NOT the same as using MS encrypted passwords as can be
# set up in MS RAS on Windows NT.
#+papcrypt
I am connecting now through sudo wvdial, yet it seems slow and readout looks confused
victoria@victoria-Latitude-E6440:~$ sudo wvdial
[sudo] password for victoria:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT967-7008
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT967-7008
CONNECT 9600
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
GlobalPOPs UQKT2
Login:
--> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: [email protected]
[email protected]
Password:
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
Entering PPP Session.
IP address is 72.251.71.29
MTU is 1524.
--> Looks like a welcome message.
--> Starting pppd at Sat Sep 25 18:06:34 2021
--> Pid of pppd: 2276
--> Using interface ppp0
--> local IP address 72.251.71.29
--> remote IP address 207.223.72.68
--> primary DNS address 8.8.8.8
--> secondary DNS address 8.8.4.4

Will changing things help the connection speed?
Should I add 'stupid mode to wvdial?
Hopefully, I'm still connected...accidently tried to minimize terminal & it closed.

Vicktoria said:
Will changing things help the connection speed?
Should I add 'stupid mode to wvdial?
Hopefully, I'm still connected...accidently tried to minimize terminal & it closed.
Whether it is still connected after closing the terminal depends on if it was forked to the background. See what the output of "pidof wvdial" is. If there is an output, then that is the PID (process's ID number), which means it is running. If you need to turn it off, "killall wvdial" will do.

I have no idea about "stupid mode", but I'm sure someone else does. I'm not very familiar with dialup. I didn't get home internet until the early 2000s and that was by tethering my phone via cable. Anyway...

Fixing your speed issue, if possible, depends where it is. Check the latencies:
Code:
// First you need to know your gateway (router's IP). The command below
// will output something like "default via xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where those x's
// after "default via" are the gateway. Note it down.
ip route

// Now let's get your PC --> router latency.
// Copy + paste the output to a text file.
clear
ping -c2 <your gateway>

// Next, PC -- router --> DNS latency.
// Copy + paste output to the same text file
clear
ping -c2 8.8.8.8

// Finally PC -- router --> DNS --> WWW latency.
// Copy + paste output to the same text file
clear
ping -c2 www.linux.org
Now post the full contents of the ping tests so we can have a look at them and see where the problem, if any, is.

I'm trying to post a new thread yet can't find area
Go to the top of any page and click "Forums"... below the linux.org penguin logo. Then go into the appropriate sub-forum, like "Linux Networking" for your modem issues, or "Mint" if you have a problem with your OS.

When inside the appropriate forum, click the orange "Post Thread" button at the top of the page and give a short Title that describes your problem.

In the 1st post, give pertinent details that might help us to help you. It's usually good to always remind us what kind of computer you are using, which Linux distro, and which Desktop Environment. You may get a new helper who has no idea that you've posted these things before, and many of the rest of us are too old to remember! ;)

ATDT967-7008
CONNECT 9600
[EDIT] I'm sure what I wrote below could be worded better, sorry. I'll try to tweak it a bit. The quote above shows your modem dialing your ISP, then shows it has connected at 9600... much slower than your 56K modem is capable of. I've tried to give possible reasons for this below.

The wvdial.conf man page says the default computer-to-modem speed should be 57600, but the Arch Wiki for wvdial on USB 3G modem says to set the baud at 460800. I don't think it needs to be THAT high though. The typical convention is that your computer-to-modem speed should be a faster than your expected modem-to-internet speed (56K, at best). I would use 115200, which is a standard baud rate for serial devices.

Edit your wvdial.conf file and find:
Code:
Baud = 9600

Change it to this and save the file:
Code:
Baud = 115200

Reboot and try your modem again. Maybe this will help.

But this may not fix it either, especially if your wvdial.conf file is already at the default 57600. The server you are dialing into may limit your connect speed, and the phone lines themselves may limit your speed. The phone company does not guarantee any data speed or quality on a voice line (voice service can get by with lesser quality than data). The Arch Wiki link above gives a couple of "Init strings" that may help low connection speeds too, but I don't understand what they're doing so I can't really comment on those.

If you haven't already, you might consider using a browser plugin, like uBlock Origin, to block most of the advertising that is needlessly clogging up your browser when you are trying to use the internet. Even more than that, I think there are ways to block all images from loading... this would help a lot with slow modem speeds (but it might break your astrology program, and others). Or you might consider a "text only" web browser, such as Lynx.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I just successfully installed virtual box and got my astrology program to work properly
I'm confused. Is your astrology program an operating system? VirtualBox allows you to install operating systems (like, Windows or other Linux distros) inside of virtual machines.... it doesn't install programs, as far as I know.

Or do you mean that you installed your astrology program in Wine instead? Wine allows you to install Windows programs in Linux... on a good day. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Stan. Thanks again for the useful info and tweaks. I'll try them and let you know. The modem speed was set for 115200, I think I'll follow YoLinux suggestions and add to the ppp options file, and add 'stupid mode', as I've used that before. We'll see what happens.

My astrology program is just a robust application which runs on windows. I tried to get it working on Wine, because I remembered VBox being complicated to install. Found a good video on Youtube: 'How to use virtual box in linux mint cinnamon.' It would not perform as it is intended in Wine, so installed vBox and it is working perfectly.

Dialup is functioning, yet is very slow. I'll try your suggestions and YoLinux as well and get back to you with results. I've been unable to connect with the HP Windows machine for a couple of days. Windows doesn't like customization.

The disappearing running yet minimized apps is disturbing to me. I'd like to find out what happened to them and get that working properly again. I think that will be my only unresolved issue shortly. I am so very grateful for your support. Thank-you.

The disappearing running yet minimized apps is disturbing to me. I'd like to find out what happened to them and get that working properly again.
Try using ALT + TAB to see if the apps will appear. If you see the missing app, keep the ALT key down and repeatedly hit the TAB key until the app you want is highlighted, then release both keys.

Excellent Stan...that did show me the open apps. I did get them to come up, so thanks for that. Can we get them back to the panel?

What are the apps?

And none of them show in the panel when you minimize them? I just tested a few apps on mine (Linux Mint Debian with Cinnamon) and they leave an icon in the panel (but no text). You may have a broken setting, and will try to look around for that.

If these are apps that are used regularly, you might put them in the panel permanently. When you click the Start button and navigate to the launcher, you can right-click and say, "Add to panel." This will put an icon on the far right of the panel, but you can move them if you prefer. I have done this with my most used apps, and when they are minimized they show a faint white (or gray) line below the icon... this is a bit hard to see, but it tells you that they are open, but minimized.

Thanks Stan, I have Opera, Thunderbird and Libre in the left area of panel along with file manager. If I click on them when my window has disappeared, another new window is opened, and the old window is not available [except now with your 'Alt + Tab trick].

I have 4 workspace windows, trash bin, network icon, bluetooth, volume, battery, and time, on right side. I want the minimized windows in the center so that I can bounced between apps in one workspace.

Staff online