How to connect dial-up in Mint 20.2

Vicktoria

Reaction score
Credits
My apologies, I'm a noobe and was bleary brained early this morning when I posted in the wrong place. I'll try to remember to start a new thread when appropriate. After successfully, with help, getting windows off and Mint 20.2 on my refurbished Dell Latitude E6440 Laptop, Core i5-4300M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. I read the suggested Penguin guidance for wvdial, yet they were not 20.2 specific and when I input the commands in terminal the response was 'no such command' or 'no such file or directory'.

The modem is listed. I'll try to find where I got that and take a screen shot. It was listed on COM 3 and also associated in GNU ppp at tty2. I tried several commands I have notes about from my attempts a couple of years ago. I just tried to upload a screenshot 3 times and failed. Wvdial said there was no /dev/modem.

I just noticed in the Dell Machine [I'm currently on the HP Windows machine], that there are 3 files titled wvdial.config and 2 wvdial.configfile, none of which I can access as I don't have permission. Tried opening them with the text editor.

All help is greatly appreciated.

In order to access those file you need to have root permission. Are you using xfce or Cinnamon Desktop? If Cinnamon you can access them this way in a terminal.
Code:
xed admin:///<full path of file you want to open>
in your case it would be
Code:
xed admin:///etc/wvdial.conf
good luck.

Thanks kc1di. I'll try it shortly and let you know what happened. I'm assuming I type this command in terminal at the prompt. Yay, I have access to file! Thanks bunches. I'll make the entries and let you know if it works.

Thanks kc1di. I'll try it shortly and let you know what happened. I'm assuming I type this command in terminal at the prompt. Yay, I have access to file! Thanks bunches. I'll make the entries and let you know if it works.
Your welcome :)

Ok, I did succeed in changing the wvdial config file. Now I need to know how to mount the modem, I guess. I installed the drivers for the zoom 56k v.92/v.90. After entering info in wvdial conf file I tried to connect with the GNU ppp which asked to find modem automatically and then after showing it at ttyS2 asked to manual enter the location. I did all that. Didn't know what else to do. Tried Thunderbird and browser. Can't connect. Would like a front end GUI for PPP connection. Can't find one. Guidance please.

Does the modem dial up when asked?

It works on the HP, which is what I'm using now till I get Linux Dell connected. The Dell showed the Zoom 56k modem on COM3. GNUPPP showed Com3 associated with /dev/ttyS2. I can't find the command to get the first list that showed it on COM 3. I have copious notes and can't find what command I used. I loaded the driver software and the message said it was already installed. wvdial is looking for /dev/modem and what I see in machine is COM3 and dev/ttyS2 in GNUppp. I did succeed in listing all dev with tty2 showing the permissions yet no specific Zoom notation in that list.

Hello Everyone. Perhaps I've got it surrounded now. Firstly I think I accidentally deleted the network manager apt so I uninstalled and reinstalled it through software manager. Then I found the front end GUI for network manager, so I should be able to get this connected. I ran out to the library to download some things. Hopefully I can give positive updates tonight. Still all input welcome. I also found a couple of links I missed I think from condobloke about dialup and linux. The middle link would not load FYI. As always I Thank You All. I'm sure we'll get this working soon.

full credit to you, your determination and patience has been outstanding,

I am so dissappointed. Just got back from the library where I downloaded modem manager and its GUI. I thought I'd be able to figure it out...I was wrong and I'm fried. Is it possible to give me a step by step terminal command list to succeed in getting wvdial to point to the modem or whatever pkg does that. I know it is device 5 COM3 and likely ttyS2. If I really knew what I was doing I could figure it out, yet I'm computer software illiterate. The message is the driver is installed, yet does it need activated or pointed. I'm lost. Thanks for your patience.

Your welcome :)
kc1di how do you ask the modem to dial? I am hitting my notes and reading everything I can find. Often when I try a command, the response is 'no such command' or 'no such file'. Maybe I'll look for commands for Cinnamon 20.2 specifically. All suggestions appreciated.

kc1di how do you ask the modem to dial? I am hitting my notes and reading everything I can find. Often when I try a command, the response is 'no such command' or 'no such file'. Maybe I'll look for commands for Cinnamon 20.2 specifically. All suggestions appreciated.
I'm Afraid I can't be of much help. I haven't used dialup since about 2000 and then if I remember right I used gnome-ppp but that is not available in newer mint versions.

Thanks for info. If you run across any reference to pointing to modem please let me know.

Thank you so much for your continued guidance. I'll look at the link, although I may have already. The modem is listed in a couple of places, and your guidance about editing wvdial worked. I think the issue is getting the wvdial and or GNUppp to find the modem. Also I noticed there are 3 files associated with wvdial. One wvdial.config and 2 wvdial.configfile. I can't get permission to look at them to see what is in them. Could that cause problems? I had a wedding to write, so now that that is finished I'm focused on this issue. Will start with the link you gave and then go through all notes from a couple of years ago. Guidance in how to point wvdial to the modem or GNUppp would be great. Thanks again.
Just looked at the link and downloaded the page. I don't recall this presentation. I'll give it a try and let you know soon.

Wahooo!!! I'm connected. It is amazingly slow yet I'm sure there is a fix for that. I have update info and questions.
For others interested: I typed wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf and discovered it recognized the modem at /dev/ttyACMO with a message 'modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf with more info.
I found the wvdial.conf file in root/etc/ppp/wvdial.conf and used xed admin///etc/wvdial.conf to adjust the file by removing the area code.
Then I entered sudo wvdial and away it went.
Questions: What does MTU mean? It was at 1524...is this connection speed by chance? If so how can I get that increased.
2. How do you change manual pages in terminal? Or how do you get to another page?
3. The Community wiki help link you recommended was awesome. It suggested entering 'stupid mode' to the wvdial.conf file. Should I do that?

I'm hitting hispeed tomorrow to try to get a front end GUI etc. Next project is to get Wine or Virtual box to run my astrology program. Then I will be set. I cannot thank you all enough!!!

Congratulation! MTU stands for Maximum Transmission Unit and it can affect speed but you have to be careful if it's set too high then you will get packet drop outs and data will not be transmitted well. Better to be conservative 1524 should be about right. The figure is in bits of data. See here for more info

What do I need to do to speed up dial-up? Any clue, or where to go to research. I'm looking yet no success yet. Still haven't found a working Front End GUI for dialup connection. Thanks for the info kc1di.

what speed are you getting with the dial up? max is usually 56k. Which by today's standard if very slow.

I can't figure out how to see that info. I know it is less than 12k. My fastest so far at home is 28k. I can live with that, as I have for 20yrs.

Members online