How to change the order and the theme in Grub2

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
I have a laptop that I have set up as a 6 distro mult-boot. In a nutshell, one distro is Deepin 15.7 and I specifically installed it last so that it would be at the top of the boot menu AND since it adds a really cool theme to Grub. Somehow, Deepin was pushed to the bottom of the list and the theme went away.

Can anyone tell me how to return Deepin to the top and get the Deepin them back?

G'day mate :)

Easiest way to do it as a short-term fix is to go into Deepin.

Make sure it is up to date.

Code:
sudo pacman -Syy

#followed by

sudo pacman -Syu

Fire up Timeshift.

If you haven't got Timeshift on it yet

Code:
sudo pacman -S timeshift

... should work, let us know if it does not.

In Timeshift, Delete any snapshot you already have, of the Deepin spin.

Check with your Settings (is it still jlap4) that you have both the user line and root set to all.

Run a new full on-demand screenshot of Deepin.

When completed, use the comments field to label appropriately.

Jump out of Deepin and into one of the other MJRO, that has Timeshift.

Use that one's GParted (they are all current, so should have an up-to-date e2fsprogs component) to BLOW AWAY your Deepin'.

Then use its Timeshift to restore your Deepin. Make sure that the / root partition, and the ESP it is going to restore to are those which they should be. Even Timeshoft can get confused, with multibooters :D.

When the Timeshift is restored, reboot and you should have your Deepin back on top and your Theme restored.

When that is done we can talk about how to keep it there (mostly).

Avagudweegend

Wiz
BTW for The Viewers you can read my Timeshift Tutorial here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Note that for Manjaro you no longer need to use yaourt to install. You can do it with sudo pacman -S timeshift

Good... I guess it's evening there??
Thank you for the recs, I am going to try this now. This is on laptop 2 (all deb/ubuntu based) but I got the gist! :D:D

and... this is exactly why I am experimenting with the multi - booting on a back - up system o_O

I must have screwed up where I put the boot loader!

I get an error message stating to

Code:
Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

If you have an install medium for Deepin, boot from it and at Terminal type in

Code:
sudo parted -l

#that's a lowercase L

and report the output.

If the flags at right for your ESP say msftdata or anything other than "boot, esp" then that's your problem.

Gotta go for a bit

Wiz

Members online